Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Crownpoint ranch

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Share |

Ok, I could probably, physically, survive out there, but it will be very rough. I was right about the Google satellite map; I'd found it. It's a mile from the road to the grocery on a dirt road R says is firmly packed, without ruts.

It's smack in between 2 of my favorite places on Earth: Canyon de Chelle and Chaco Canyon. And I see things in the satellite pictures that indicate that the road I'd be on looks very old.

It looks like someone built a runoff reservoir that leads to an old field, still in rows.

It's a settlement of less than 3,000, in severe poverty, heavily elderly, 89% Navajo. Navajo Technical Institute has a solar and wind energy program with photovoltaic panels EXACTLY like the one I bought, and an electric bicycle. There's a grocery 3 miles east, on the main north south road that leads from Thoreau near interstate 40 up to Chaco Canyon.

I can get satellite or, maybe, telephone company high speed internet.

It's infested with fundamentalist ministries.

I could die from elements here.

The road from the ranch could be impassable to walking after deep snow, possibly for a long time. It's only a mile to a road that's probably plowed. I'd need snow shoes or a pony.

There's plenty to write about or record for radio, if people will talk to me.

There's need for micro loans, perhaps a cooperative Navajo store on eBay, which I could help set up, if folks are interested.

Don't know how UPS, Fed Ex, etc. would deliver to me; may need to pick things up at the store.

Police 2 miles from house.

No neighbors, lights in distance.

It could be wonderful. It could be a nightmare.

What do you think?
http://rogiriverstone.com

No comments: