Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Studio 360 used my comment

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

My comment got quoted on a Studio 360 broadcast, which is very cool, as it's about racism and my fav. author, Mr. Twain, so I'll forgive them for pronouncing my name wrong. It was a Facebook comment; they coulda sent me a private message, so I coulda told 'em. gees. sniffle.

http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2011/01/14/segments/158826

Huck Finn Mailbag

On last week's show Kurt talked to Alan Gribben, the Twain scholar who, in a new edition of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, replaces all instances of the word "nigger" with "slave". Their conversation generated a lot of response from listeners, and this week Kurt reads a few of the comments.

My full, unedited comment on Facebook here:
White liberals need to grow a pair and stop allowing revisionist history to wipe away the legacies of enslaved peoples on this continent. If we refuse to look at a word, in historical context, in American literature, we are cowards. Yet, cr...aptacular pop culture, of which we ought REALLY be ashamed, exploits that word on a regular basis, to peddle their wannabe wares to suburban, white kids everyday, to the point where they're calling EACH OTHER niggers! Anybody afraid to read Huclkeberry Finn in a classroom needs to get out of the teaching business and STOP revising American history

No comments: