Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, January 31, 2011

Found: safe space for self, trailer, critters

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

I'm basically renting his back yard for $200 US/month +electricity. He'll reduce rent for my work on his already-prepared garden. It's secure, private, under a tree, near a carport, on concrete. I'll have use of a bathroom, laundry and utility sink (for dishes) in the house.

He was advertising 2 rooms for rent on Craig's List. I checked Google satellite, because he gave an approximate address and stated it was an acre and a half. Only two properties looked like that, either would have worked for me.

So, I emailed and suggested I could live in his yard and he could also rent his other 2 rooms. He likes the goats because they'll keep down weeds. He likes the dogs & cats because they'll chase off strays. He was inundated with stray cats recently. He owns the lot on the east with all that equipment, trailers, etc. and the cats moved in there.

He uses a wheel chair, so my help with the outside of the property is much appreciated. He can get around outside, but it's hard to do some things sitting down.

Imagine! I can take SHOWERS again! AND, I'm very close to public transportation & all amenities of a city, while still living in a quiet, semi-rural/semi-suburban community, not too far, but just far enough, from the hectic nuttiness of Albuquerque. There's a feed store near by. And, while I detest almost all forms of junk food, I do have a weakness for Church's Chicken, and there's a shop within walking distance.

I imagine myself, walking to shops, with 3 goats & 3 dogs on leashes. Eventually, I'll repair back tire & electric cable to my electric bicycle, which pulls a trailer.

There's also a Goodwill thrift store near by.

Just for giggles, here's a shot of my trailer. Oh, I measured it. From back bumper to tip of tongue on front, she's 30 feet long! As big as a small "bachelor" or "studio" apartment. I can save money living in it. And the "spite fence" around the property, and the giant tree, will protect me from New Mexico sun and wind, reducing utility bills.

No comments: