Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, January 13, 2011

old friend crapped on my face

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

put something on Facebook like: Sarah Palin is the darling of the insane.

I'll lose her friendship, but here's my reply:

As a person with SERIOUS behavioral health challenges, I truly detest this abuse of the word, "insane," which is a legal definition and commonly used as a slur against people with behavioral health disabilities. It is as mean-spirited, call...ous and dangerous to me as slurs like, "crazy, loony, whack-job, nut case," etc. And it is no less cruel than a racial, gender, sexual orientation or other slur. IT IS A SLUR AGAINST PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES!

We are no more violent than is the general population. We do not call for wars, exploit the vulnerable through corporate greed or create institutions that sanction violence, as the so-called "normal" people do.

Any time some ass hat with a gun goes ape spit, out come the armchair diagnoses, slurs, stereotypes, assumptions, patronization, calls to further ostracize and stigmatize us for DISABILITIES WE DID NOT CAUSE!

I know a great number of my cohorts in the Mad Pride Movement who detest Palinesque tactics and propaganda at least as much as I do, and I truly resent having her name associated with anything to do with my challenges.

This use of epithets against Mad people simply escalates the stigmatization, marginalization, abuse and ostracism we already face. It's hard enough not to get evicted, fired, harassed, assaulted, without this language thrown around so carelessly. And now, thanks to that ass hat in Tuscon, I must also fear cops with guns!

We have so few civil rights, so easily taken from us by prejudiced doctors, social workers, people of "faith," and just jerks on the bus. This just makes life more hellish for us and does NOTHING to either Palin, that pig shooter or the Carl Rove machine that is driving this country into the Dark Ages as fast as it can!

I WILL NOT support anything that uses language that exploits my struggles! NO

No comments: