Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hard weather's coming

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |
I'm SO GLAD I got this trailer livable so quickly. Blowing snow is predicted tonight and tomorrow, wind gusts 40mph. I remember windy storms in that house last year. Wind screamed through the holes in the walls. I couldn't stand having my feet on the floor, even in slippers and socks, for more than a few minutes. The front door blew open constantly and snow piled up in the entry.

I fixed that back room the goats are in so they can come in and out at will. The entry to the kitchen has a piece of plywood nailed to the door frame, so they can't get in the rest of the house. And I hung a doubled sheet up over the door to their room, so the heat from the space heater in there isn't wasted. There's already a Mexican blanket hanging over the back door.

it's supposed to be in the teens during the day either tomorrow or the next. That's the high. At night, it'll be 8f: dangerously below freezing. So, let the goats come and go as they need. Goats hate being wet. I expect they'll want to be inside that room frequently tomorrow.

I expect the power to go out. Sometimes, it stays out for a few hours. It's a rural electric cooperative. They don't have much $ for better equipment. They send crews out immediately when the power goes, but it just depends what the problem is.

I should get my wifi up and running tomorrow, because the internet goes out, too, during storms. It's just old wiring and dependence on the electric cooperative.

I have 2 battery powered lights in here. There's firewood in the house, if I absolutely have to go in there to stay warm. I hope not.

I have a propane stove, but the co2 could kill all of us, so would only use briefly, occasionally, with the vent over the stove on. 

Everybody is safe, warm and dry right now.

It's amazing how quickly and how well I've created a beautiful, nurturing and positive space in this little trailer. I love being in here and, even in good weather, really don't even want to LOOK outside, let alone leave it.

I hope the cat food doesn't run out before I can get some more. I think I have about three days' worth left. But I have a case of tuna and several more cans of salmon, in a pinch.

Dogs and goats have plenty of food, and so do I.

Weather should clear by the weekend.

I'm on vacation. 

No comments: