Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, December 23, 2010

RVing Women

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

Back when I was escaping Indiana, renovating an old Winnebago to drive out here to New Mexico, I joined RVing women. When you buy a membership (which I haven't done, this time, yet), you're given a directory of every member with contact info. I did it in case the Winnie broke down along the way and i might need help or shelter during repairs.

Women, as you can imagine, were not taken very seriously 20 yrs. ago in the RV living subculture. When we'd ask questions about repair issues, etc., men knew the information, but frequently treated us like we were too stupid or weak to take care of ourselves.

So, a couple decided to get together with some of their friends and start RVing women. They have camp meets all over the country, all through the year. There are chapters all over, too. They've become old friends. Most are retired and middle class.

They run a forum, which i joined, for free. I've introduced myself and described what I'm doing. Instead of thinking me some crazy hippy, they actually appreciate my situation and are very enthusiastic about my resourcefulness, determination, good attitude and sustainability ideas.

http://www.rvingwomen.org/

No comments: