Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Verison MiFi & good night's sleep

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

Hi, since yesterday's forum glitch, seems I missed some replies to my progress reports, some having to do with Verison MiFi.

Well, now that I know I don't need a cell phone, I actually opened the molded box the thing is in and read the instructions. I am now charging the battery. Dang, this thing is SMALL!

I accidentally ran across another grounded outlet, right here by my left shoulder, that was covered by my mylar & fleece blanket regalia, so I'm dedicating that outlet to the mifi. Of course, I found it after weaving an elaborate construction of utility cords, surge protectors and USB cables, etc., to get my computer, which rests on the shelf over me, up and running! hah!

So, the mifi will be charging while I watch "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," which finally came today from NetFlix. Usually, mail arrives around 11am, but I guess our usual carrier is on vacation, because Weird Mr. Pith Helmet is toodling around in his peeling mini-van, doing the honors. I noticed him yesterday, but he's also her day off relief, so didn't know.  I've been to the mail box 4 times today. But, it got here at about 1pm.

It's looking quite gloomy out now and the goats are, periodically, butting the trailer, as if that'll entice me to let them come in. They're fine; they're all wearing their coats and it's not wet yet. They're just brats. Later, I'll open the back door, turn on the space heater in their room and let them in for the night.

Fatty Watty Kitty Catty finally followed her stomach out from under the bed. To her delight, I had opened a "Housewarming" can of salmon for the cats. She found the litter box & water bowl and is now amusing herself by climbing all over everything, while my other 3 cats and my smallest dog warm me in the bed.

I brought in my NY steak roast I got on sale b4 xmas (hey, at $3.50/lb., it's as cheap as good burger, so I don't feel a bit guilty for buying about $90 worth on my food stamps to freeze!). Supper will be canned pears, stewed in their juice with powdered cinnamon & ginger, baked potato with Tillamook cheese & a dab of Mexican crema and a slice of roast with horseradish, crema, mushrooms and Worchestershire sauce, liberally dosed with powdered onion & garlic, cracked pepper and sea salt.

Some milk chocolate may squeeze into that plan, somewhere and a cup of mocha coffee can be arranged.

Even though it's a quarter to 2pm, I am back in my 2 flannel night gowns and have no plans to put on my sweats again today.  Puttering, resting my body, eating, watching movies, getting mifi working, etc. should occupy me nicely until the storm is past.

I'll tell you this: I've been waking at 2am, most mornings, freezing in that nasty, drafty house, having to wait impatiently for daylight to get to work, anxious, driven.

While I had no clock in here last night, I believe I fell asleep around 9:30pm. I'm not sure when I awoke. I assumed it would be 2 am, as usual, but I warmed a cup of coffee and sat with the animals. I became aware I was hearing doves coo outside, then noticed a rooster, then another, then a goose. So, I turned on the radio, just in time to hear it was 6:30 am and I'd missed an hour and a half of the morning news! I was so pleased that I had a whole night's sleep!

I feel wonderful, if sore.

No comments: