Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mylar blanket insulation

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
Share |

I don't use mylar blankets on my BED. I hang them from curtain rods over my windows, with my cheap, fleece blankets.

There are some fancy ones, quilted, but i just need sun blocking and vapor barrier, so I use the cheap, dollar ones. Bought 12 for eight dollars, incl. ship, on ebay. They're BIG; cover lots of area, can be doubled up over windows.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=emergency+blanket&_sacat=0&_odkw=LED+lights&_osacat=20697&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I have 2 sets of curtain rods on each window. In winter, I hang the blankets closest to window, with mylar inside cabin. Blankets heat in sunlight, push drafts back out. Mylar reflects internal cabin heat & light back into cabin.

In my unheated house, I've hung them on the walls of the room in which I live/sleep: keeps wall drafts out, reflects heat & light back into room. Wish I could have thumb tacked them to ceilings, too. Will do in trailer.

The dollar store had those quilted, mylar windshield covers for cars, so i bought 4 and thumb tacked them to windowsills in my house last summer. Didn't cover whole area, so let light in on sides. But, with windows cracked, let out most of desert heat all day long.

In summer, Mylar hangs closest to window, to reflect sunlight back outside. I leave a window cracked. When air conditioning, blankets are drawn on rod closest to cabin, as extra insulation to keep cool air inside.

Mylar also works as a 1-way mirror: you can see out; others can't see in.

As to LED lights, they come in MANY forms. I simply use xmas lights, stapled to ceiling, to light entire trailer, all night long, for about the same as a conventional nightlight.

http://home.shop.ebay.com/Lamps-Lighting-Ceiling-Fans-/20697/i.html?_nkw=LED+lights&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

No comments: