Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, February 27, 2004

Flour tortillas

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Since I'm out of bread, and out of corn tortillas (I have 3 left), I'll make some flour tortillas, so I can make "wraps."

Here's a recipe:

2 cups flour, white
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortning
3/4 cup water, hot

Mix flour and salt together. Cut in shortening until crumbly and then mix in the water. Roll out ping pong sixe balls on a well floured surface and cook in a nonstick pan on medium heat. When tortilla starts to bubble up turn over immediatly and be ready to take it out as it only needs 20 seconds on the other side.

Since I don't have any shortening right now, I'll have to use SCANT butter, frozen.

Here's a corn tortilla recipe.

I have a tortilla press. It's also useful for small pie crusts, for making my own "hot pockets."

I prefer a press to rolling, as my shoulders don't hurt so badly.

Presses are also extremely useful for smashing garlic, to take the skins off.

If I feel better in a few hours, I might make an hybrid corn/flour tortilla. I prefer the flavor of corn, but flour holds together better.

No comments: