Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, February 15, 2004

SCORE!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Porky and I went shopping today. I saw Smith's had eggs for a dollar a dozen. I also wanted to check out marked-down Valentine chocolate.

I got two turkey halves for less than five dollars!

I got 12 oz. bags of Dove milk chocolate for a dollar fifty per sack! That's less than two dollars/lb.

I got some Necco sweet hearts and some red hots. I poured them into a wine bottle with cork. So cute!

I got three dozen eggs. It might last until Easter eggs go cheap...don't know when Easter is this year, though. Gotta look that up.

I got more of those giant oranges, ten cents cheaper than last week! yummmmmm.

And I got a bag of mixed sea food: three dollars a pound. Here's sort of what I got: http://www.aquastar.com/New%20Pages/fav2.html from auqastar.com. It contains: clams, mussels, octopus, white fish, cuttle fish and squid.

And they had a big sack of cat food on sale.

The Dollar Store dumpster had an entire case of toilet bowl cleaner: rust and mineral remover. I need that with this water. I could probably sell them for a dollar each, too.

I stopped at the Palestinian convenience store for cheap cigs to tide me over 'til I can get to the Pueblo Cultural Center on Tuesday.

While I was there, I got 1/2 lb. of those creamy dates. ANd I asked about some cheese. It was three dollars a pound, which is a fair price even for crappy cheese. He gave me a taste. It's goat cheese. I don't think it's feta, but I'm not sure. It's squeeky on the teeth. It's about the consistancy of bleu, but less crumbly. It even tastes a bit like bleu..just a hint, but is also lemony. It's crumbling, not melting, cheese. It'll go great with the dates, on salads, with the oranges...I could even crumble a bit on tacos. It's FABULOUS! and very inexpensive!

I came home and baked a German pancake. I used 2 eggs. I used butter. I hadn't eaten all morning, and do not feel guilty. I squirted juice from 1/2 lime over it and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Filled a supper plate and tasted FABULOUS with a small glass of milk! My whole house smells of vanilla and eggs!

As the pancake baked, I made some cocktail sauce for my fish.

I'll be eating only a few tablespoons of that fish at a time, as it's an omega3/good cholesterol trick per day. My nurse practitioner wanted me to eat some fish every day. I really can't do that, even with sardines and tuna, so I'm supplimenting with a couple of tablespoons of tofu, stirred into meals. I'll swap different foods for different days, so I don't lose my mind! LOL

Here's the cocktail sauce:

I found 3 cans of V8 juice in a dumpster, so that's free.

1 can V8 juice
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp. wasabi horseradish
picante sauce, to taste
black pepper, to taste
dash salt
Whisk, pour into bottle, keep refrigerated.

Now, really good cocktail sauce should have a bit of finely-chopped celery, but the V8 has celery juice in it, so that's cool

I rinsed, drained and thawed about a quarter cup of the seafood. I have it in a pretty, glass bowl, marinating covered in sauce right now. I'll eat it at supper.

The tuna will taste great in cocktail sauce, too.

If I hadn't had the free V8 juice, I'd have either used canned tomato sauce, pureed fresh tomatoes, or cheap tomatoe juice, with carrot or celery juiced into it.

One can buy nearly a half gallon (32 oz.)of generic tomato juice for about a dollar. Or, one can buy a small 6 oz. bottle of cocktail sauce for THREE DOLLARS! Even a 16 oz. bottle of catsup is about a dollar fifty, on sale!

I hate catsup, because of the sugar, so I can definately live without it. When I need catsup, for Chinese food or whatever, I boil some tomato sauce on the stove with salt, pepper and a DASH of sugar, until it thickens.

Tomato sauce and tomato juice are MUCH cheaper!

Can't WAIT to eat my seafood cocktail tonight, as my appetiser for my turkey sandwich! Dessert will be an orange, a date, and a small taste of that CHEESE! I may or may not eat some of the chocolate.

No comments: