Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, February 09, 2004

I'm an old lady...

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Lord, what made me think drinking alcohol last night was a good idea??? uf. My muscles do NOT need oxygen deprivation! I need all the oxygen I can get! I'm POOPED!

But "Pearl Harbor" really got to me. I just don't understand why we're SO CRUEL to each other! And we KNOW it HURTS! WHY can we be SO compassionless???

It was a tearful day yesterday, anyway. First, "Edward Scissorhands," then "King," followed by "Pearl Harbor." gawd. Cried all day and half the night.

You know, I'm still worried about the little dog on one of the ships!

I couldn't WAIT to get home from the station today! I even left 20 mins. early. I'd put the turkey in the oven at eight this morning, and calculated it should have been done when I got home.

I was scared to death the oven would explode or something. This rat trap is dangerous!

I got in, opened the oven, took out the roaster, uncovered it and found a nut-brown, glossy, glistening turkey, so juicy and tender, it fell off the bones! I made me 2 sandwichs: just breast meat and juices in the bread.

It's off the bone now. I put it in a Red Vine licorice jar I found in a dumpster today...washed out, of course.

All cats and the dog are grinnin'. Porkchop looks absolutely worshipful.

Speaking of dumpster, there's one where I find the BEST stuff: wigs, my hoochie mama dress, my flamingos... Today, I found something for Porkchop: lavendar fairy wings.

I was just thinking of making him some wings, out of old pantihose, stretched on coat hangers, but these are better. They're lavendar chiffon. They have blue curleyques painted on them and silver glitter. And a big, lavendar bow, trimmed in silver! They have elastic loops to slide his front legs through, and rest across his back. I had to curl them up a bit; otherwise, they flap onto his ears, which really bugs him.

We're gonna cause an accident, I swear.

He looked so proud, trottin down the street in his fairy wings.

I also found him a bright red, satin bra.

He loves it when I dress him up. I don't know why. But he gets so happy and bouncy and holds his head so high.

Ugly, fat, old brindle, pit bull, big as a hog, prancin down the street in lavendar fairy wings! Lord, have mercy!

I should take pictures of him in his costumes. He's a trip. The college kids love it. I walk across campus, and people are just GRINNIN and GIGGLIN.

I think I should dress him up, every day. I'm much less grouchy when he's dressed like a fool.

He had a pair of wrap around, "Cholo" sunglasses. I took off the ear pieces and tied a red, glittery cord to them, instead. But we can't find them! He looked Baaaad in his shades, man.

He's getting quite a wardrobe now. He has his shirt with the teddy bears sewn on it, so they ride his back. He has his tie-dye "dead head" shirt. He has his Guatamalan back pack. He has his scarecrow hat, complete with straw hair and crow on the brim. He has his "cat in the hat" shirt, with the cat's eyes on the breast...he wears that one backwards, so the eyes show. He has his crushed velveteen and white maribou feather bra and thong set. And now he has a red bra. Oh! and he's got a bikini!: purple and white plaid, with embroidered daisies on the bra and daisy duke-style bottom, that I cut the crotch of, so he can pee and his tail can stick out.

DemocracyNOW! just quit on my radio! Oh, they're restarting it. That was wierd.... I really like Amy Goodman. Dang! Cut out again! Started over again! SOMEBODY's havin fun! LOL stopped again! At least they announced a technical difficulty this time, and put on some flamenco guitar. hmmm...

whenever DemocracyNOW! screws up, I get paranoid! LOL

Or, as the Radical Therapists, back in the 70s said, "if you're paranoid, it's valid; and, if it's valid, it's not paranoia!"

Heard THAT!

Darn, I really wanted to hear DN today, too, after Bush called himself a "war president" yesterday! Sure wish he'd said that before the LAST ELECTION! gawd.

Heck, now I can't remember what I was writing about.

Oh, I'm an old lady. Onions give me head aches; I can't drink a can of beer and two shots of bourbon without complete muscle cramps all over my body the next day; I hate cruelty and potty mouth on tv...

Maybe I'll have to stop watching movies with pain in them? That's going to eliminate a LOT of movies!

Y'know, I was at Pearl Harbor, with my mom. Dad sent us to Hawaii one year for a vacation. I was miserable. I was in love for the first time, and thousands of miles away from her. Mom kept getting drunk and embarrassing me...it was a mess. And I got BADLY sunburned, snorkelling too long in shallow water...you can't feel yourself sunburn, under water.

Bush, NOBODY's denegrating the damn GUARD! YOU DISAPPEARED for a YEAR!!! You got an honorable discharge cuz your BUDDIES covered your BUTT! "I showed up in Alabama" for what? an HOUR??? Yeah, Harvard Business School was MUCH more important!

SOMEBODY bitch slap that boy! Oh, hell, I'll have the secret service sniffin my damn blog for that. The us embassy in Norway showed up at rriverstone.com today! Why?

Where was I? Oh, Pearl Harbor.

Both my parents were seriously traumatized, as was most of the country at the time, by World War Two. The war was part of everything that happened in my house, as I was growing up. It, and the Depression, informed every decision and opinion my parents had.

So, by the time I got to Pearl Harbor, I was numb. I didn't understand the loss. But I was there. Beautiful place; hideous place. Sigh.

I'll give mom and dad credit for one thing though: they didn't hate Germans, Japanese nor Italians. In Los Angeles, there are ethnic neighborhoods. We visited most of them, for cultural events, shopping, dining, etc. I remember mom was very fond of Japanese culture.

But I also remember her at the Arizona memorial, weeping bitterly. As though it happened the week before. As I would probably weep, if I stood at Ground Zero.

I'm not equating Pearl Harbor and Ground Zero. They are NOT the same thing! But attacks on our soil are rare, except by our own Timothy McVeighs. And the human loss was about the same. And both were unprovoked.

I'd sure like to talk to them Japanese guys, and get them to explain to me: WHAT were you THINKING???

Al Qeada, sure: arrogant, self righteous, fundamentalist punks.

And the Japanese had suicide bombers, too, you know.

But WHAT was Japan THINKING??? That was TRULY a tactical error!

What's it going to take to waken the sleeping giant again???

Good lord, you'd think our military isn't risking lives all over the planet right at this moment! You'd think 9/11 never happened!

We're so obsessed with Business As Usual...NOTHING is USUAL!

We're all anesthetized, or something! Is it the Paxil? Is it the credit card debt? Is it mental illness? What's WRONG with us?

We're like sex slaves, drugged, bound spread-eagled while we take it in the....you know. Totally passive, receptive, out of it.

It's FREAKY!

My fellow americans scare the crap out of me!

This is a very long post. I'm signing off.

No comments: