Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Garbage pilaf & pancakes

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Well, the garbage food the homeless guy brought me is either cooked, cooking or eaten.

I made pancakes today from the 3 eggs he brought me. I sauteed the apple and some of the banana chips he brought me in cinnamon, sugar, scant butter and filtered water. Even the pancake syrup I used came from the garbage: Mrs. Butterworth's, a brand I like but can't afford. All I paid for was the flour, baking soda and sugar.

Now, I'm making a pot of pilaf from some of the brown rice he gave me.

Here's a Real, traditional Pilaf recipe.

I'm cooking something similar. I don't have pasta, so I'm using sesame seeds, poppy seeds, rice and peanuts.

In a large frying pan, I toasted:

2 c rice
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 c unsalted peanuts
3 tbsp poppy seeds
1 pat butter

Stir the rice mix frequently, so it won't scorch. When it starts smelling nutty, it's close to done. If you're feeling brave, toast until some of the rice kernels pop, like pop corn.

Stir in
1 can chicken broth and
2 cans water
salt or seasoning salt to taste
2 tsp. cayenne pepper flakes

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer on low

Finely chop and add to pot:

1 medium onion
2 large cloves fresh garlic

Simmer, covered, for nearly an hour. I do check it and stir it, to make sure there's enough liquid, and add water, if necessary.

When the rice is done, I'll add:

1 c carrots, grated
1 small can mushroom slices
parsley flakes

I like eating pilaf all by itself, but it'll be great with the turkey, good in tacos, etc. It's good in soups, too. I still have a bit of goat cheese left I could crumble on it. Pilaf is good served cold, with vegetables and hard boiled egg, as a salad, with a bit of dressing.

No comments: