Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, February 06, 2004

shameless enchiladas

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

No, I did not use enchilada sauce. shudder.

I baked a small beef roast the other day, in plenty of broth. I use meat as a seasoning, rather than a main course.

So, I combined, in my food processor, the following:

1 can Ranch Style pinto beans
4 oz. beef roast
1/4c broth

I chopped, rather than pureeing, so the meat had plenty of texture.

I emptied the meat mixture into a mixing bowl.

I refilled the food processor with the following:

1/2 onion
4 cloves garlic
1 small can, tomato sauce
1/4 c salsa

I stirred 1/2 of the tomato mix into the beef mix.

I warmed 16 tortillas in my cast iron skillets. This makes them more flexible and easier to roll, fold or whatever.

I THINLY sliced 8 pieces of cheese, apx. 1 1/2 inches wide by 4 inches tall. I cut them into long strips.

With an icing spatula, I smeared each tortilla with the meat mixture (apx. 3 tablespoons, each). I sprinkled each with about 2 tablespoons prepared rice. I laid a strip of cheese in each one.

I rolled them up and placed 8 in each of 2 pyrex baking dishes.

I covered all with the remaining meat mix and covered with remaining tomato sauce. I sprinkled the last of the rice on top.

I baked in the oven for 15 minutes, at 350 degrees, Farenheit.

It may be an urban legend, but I've been told that eating beans in combination with rice provides a more complete combination of proteins. It works with other protein-rich grains, too. So the corn tortillas help.

I used Ranch Style beans ONLY because I once encountered a close-out sale, in which each can cost me only twenty five cents! I bought 2 cases, and have been slowly eating them down, ever since. I normally wouldn't recommend purchasing canned beans, since home-cooked dry beans are so much cheaper.

Because the enchiladas contained so little fat, I could eat a serving of 4 with a tablespoon of sour cream.

Reducing the amount of cheese I'd norally use in enchiladas did not negatively impact the flavor nor the texture of the enchiladas.

I also sprinkled a small amount of juice from a can of black olives over the prepared enchiladas before serving, and served each enchilada with an olive on top.

Costs:

Canned beans:.....$0.25
Canned tomatoes:..$0.10
Salsa:............$0.05
Beef:.............$1.00
Rice:.............$0.05
Tortillas:........$0.75
Cheese:...........$0.50
Onion, Garlic.....$0.10
Olives............$0.05
Sour Cream:.......$0.05

TOTAL:............$2.90


I think. If I added that up right. I still have a head ache and can't see too well.

Remember: that's 16 enchiladas, four per meal, four meals total.

No comments: