Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, February 22, 2004

to KUNM Women's Focus

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I recently wrote to Women's Focus, through Carol B. She wrote back, asking me what I had in mind about helping. Here's my reply:

Well, as you can see by my writing samples, and blogs, I can definately write... and research. My resum� shows I've got a decent background in public radio and women's journalism.

Right now, while Rene� is ill, Marcos has me writing a weekly commentary. And Leslie needs me to rewrite press releases, et al, for broadcast.

My primary interests are in putting children at the center of public policy, as I stated in my first commentary. You can find it fairly far down on my http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com Hood Life blog.

This focus necessarily puts womanist and feminist issues, social justice, environmental considerations, education, etc. as my emphasis.

As for what I'm thinking, I'm more than willing to "prove" myself, by assisting in current projects, as necessary.

But I'm also interested in creating segments for WF, as time permits.

For example, I spend a LOT of time on the 'net, and would like to share the info and resources I've found there.

I would like to see more community dialogue on the impact of public policies on poor women and kids. I'd also like to provide info. re: resources to them.

It's my firm belief that, until this culture attends to the needs of poor women and children, we are living in a terminally-ill empire, which will collapse under its own weight.

I can prove that thesis with solid documentation.

Because of the nature of msntv, which is not a computer, I can't copy and paste my commentary and retain the text of this email to you.

I'll send a 2nd email with my commentary.

I will tell you this, Carol: Rachel Kaub made a point of coming in to the news room to give me the compliment that "everybody likes" my commentary. I don't know who "everybody" is, of course.

And Marcos made a point of telling me that I'm a very good writer, and very intellingent.

I have a pleasant radio voice, I'm told, although I think I sound like a lisping hillbilly...which, of course, I am.

I have 3 major shortcomings: I'm extremely low income and, therefore, stressed out and vulnerable; I am a bit short-tempered, when treated in a demeaning, threatening or patronizing manner; I have no vehicle and am physically quite weak.

But, where my body and income leave off, my mind is quite rich.

My major frustration is that I haven't fond ways in which to be useful in the past year. And, given the urgency of our times, I'm nearly frantic, trying to "plug in" to social action in which I could be useful.

I'm not out to be a "star," Carol; I just want to HELP! KUNM is my nearly-constant companion. I can't afford to subscribe. Free speech, intelligent conversation, etc. are in scarce supply these days, especially for a woman of my financial limitations. I'd like to help support it.

Rogi

http://rriverstone.com

No comments: