Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, February 02, 2004

Pickin' and grinnin'

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Ooo, Mr. Dawson's broadcasting Free Form today: 1st broadcast for African American History Month. He's got a 6 cd set, apparantly produced by Harry Belefonte? It's a history set, and wow, is the music FINE! Dangdest collection of music the last 2 hrs!

One cut was even a slave master, preachin to his slaves all that Jesus propoganda! Fascinating!

I've been laughing and crying and cussing and bopping for two hours! LOL

I found the BEST stuff in a dumpster today! Another wig; I now have FIVE WIGS!: shocking pink, royal blue, black, and two brown curly ones! Could come in handy for protests....yeah, like the FBI wouldn't know it's me, with Porkchop and my cart! LOL

I found some mardi gras beads. I found 2 pink flamingos...little ones, but good enough for my cart. A cotton sweater and several pair of men's boxers (I wear em under skirts in summer) funny ones, with chickens and stuff on em. I found a kewl plastic bracelet; when u press the center jewel, all 3 jewels blink! Neato!

I found some xmas lights. I found some long telephone cords and boy, do I need them!

But the BEST was my hoochie mama dress. Black velveteen bra with spaghetti straps, cups covered in shocking pink maribu feathers and mylar, with dozens of strands of opalescent, diamond-cut, plastic mardi gras beads, hanging below the knees. I mean, that sombitch must weigh twenty POUNDS!!

I put it on over my clothes and laughed my ass off! I have so many places to wear something like that, you know....

But it really made my day and looks funny as the dickens, hanging from one of my filing cabinets. The cats love it!

"The Long Road To Freedom:" Mr. Dawson just announced the name of that 6 cd set. Man, I'd love to own THAT!

I fished that hoochie dress out of the dumpster while that white massah was preachin to his slaves. I was cussin my head off. I'll always remember that, every time I look at that dress.

Well, I'm gonna raid the ice box. I'm starving, even after 4 small chicken tacos. I could eat a buffalo!

====================

HEY! It's what? Tuesday now. I just got it thru muh thick head to go LOOK UP that Harry Belefonte set! Hey, I was tired from walkin back n forth across campus and from trash pickin on a cold day.

Here it is: http://www.blackanthology.com/product/

If I may suggest, Mr. Belefonte has a life long history of commitment to African American issues, culture, history and rights. So you can be sure this has been a very professionally-approached project of gathering the sounds of African American history.

If you can afford this, buy it. Buy it 'cause I, and millions like me, can't. MAKE your kids listen to it, if you have to! Do NOT let these voices fall silent!

Bless you, Mr. Belafonte! Bless you, too, Mr. Dawson!

Happy African American History month!

No comments: