Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, February 20, 2004

my butt's cold

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Boy, I got into the Project From Hell today! I have some nylon rope, almost an inch thick, twenty five feet long. I wanted to use it to elevate my tarps, in my yard.

This meant it would have to be slung over the branch of an elm tree, stretching over my yard.

The trick is that there are electrical, phone and cable tv lines strung below, and parallel to, the branch.

The branch is apx. twenty feet up.

The other problem is that I have no ladder, except kitchen step stools.

I tied a metal tool to one end of a long telephone cord I'd found in the trash. The other end was tied to my rope.

I stood in the alley and threw the tool.

It would get stuck in twigs. It would get stuck on cables.

Raoul, my addict neighbor next door, came home. I tried to be quiet, because I don't want anybody to know what I do.

The very next throw, the tool landed in HIS yard! Oh, hell.

I got it out before he came out to see what was going on. I just stood perfectly still in the alley, as though being stalked by a bear, until he staggered back in and cranked up his music.

The very NEXT throw, the tool went EXACTLY where I wanted it! I jiggled the phone line until it dropped. I fed the nylon rope on top of my tarps. I came in and tied everything up, apx. eight feet in the air, on poles.

I repaired the tarp at the roof and front entrance by poking and proding with a janitor's push broom and a rake. I retightened all the fittings.

I didn't even know it was cold out, of course, because of the work.

But I'm on my bed now and my butt is SO COLD!

But my tarps are hung much better, look nicer, and are WAY out of the way of my...or anybody else's...face.

Spring's coming, and I'll have a lot of work to do, gardening and crafting. So I'm preparing the space out there already.

I got done just in time. THe sun's behind the clouds and there's a nippy breeze.

I'll put away yesterday's laundry later this afternoon.

Miss Thing helped me the whole time. She ran from alley to yard, every time I came in and out to fetch the tool or do whatever.

I nearly killed her on several occasions, but she trusts me implicitly. Anything Mommy does is OK with her. Highly unusual personality for a female cat, especially a Siamese; she acts more like a puppy!

No comments: