Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, February 28, 2004

good tortillas

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

The homemade tortillas came out quite tasty. The only problem is that they're a bit too dry.

The recipe calls for 2 c flour. I substituted 1 c self-rising cornmeal. I don't have masa harina.

Next time, I'll use real shortening, instead of butter, so I can be a bit more generous with it. I guess I could have added a tad of vegetable oil. I might try soaking the cornmeal, too.

But the flavor is wonderful. And they are a bit more sturdy than corn tortillas, because of the flour.

Osa, my carbohydrate cat, loves them.

The homeless guy came by this morning, looking for cans. I made him breakfast.

I had fried 2 cans of Ranch Style pintos, with some of my home made salsa, and squished them into refries. I chopped up two soft boiled eggs in it. I fried a potato into strings, pourd the beans on top, and served with picante. I made him a cup of coffee, too.

He tells me his stories. I'll tell you about him someday, but right now, Oliver Twist is on, and Richard Dryfus is playing Fagan. I'm surprised he aggreed to the fake nose: very hooked. You'd think a Jew wouldn't agree to be stereotyped, but what the hell? I'm sure lots of Jews, as well as lots of all kinds of people, were active in the criminal underground in London....and still are.

I LOVE Oliver Twist, cuz it reminds me of the kids in the War Zone. It's so clear: honesty is a luxury of the middle class. Stealing is necessary for survival, when you're REALLY poor!

It gave me an idea for a story about the 'hood rats....I'll start wiritng it soon enough.

I REALLY like Oliver Twist. The book, anyway. Most of the movies of Dickens really suck, cuz they're so sugary and cutesy. But this one seems pretty honest. And nobody's singin and dancin...jees... but the sound track IS distracting: trying too hard to be funny.

I don't think Oliver Twist is funny. I think it's friggin tragic.

Here's a very good review of the movie....dang, one of thse days, someone will let the literature speak for itself....guess thre's a reason Disney doesn't do Shakespeare, huh? I didn't realize it was a Disney movie....sure explains the invasive sound track!

http://elijahhobbit2002.sohounion.com/oliver/2003oliver1.html

Has Richard Dreyfus lost his MIND? probably just hungry....

No comments: