Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, October 20, 2003

Crazy

The city cut tree limbs this summer, if they were interfering with utility wires.

I hitched up my dog and cart, every morning while it was still cool. I wore heavy gloves.

I gathered all the logs. The city had cut them into 1-foot (or so) lengths, perfect for firewood.

As I walked along, pushing piles of logs, people laughed at me. One called me Paul Bunion. Another kicked over the cart, spilling logs into the street. They called me "crazy."

When I saved clear, vinyl shower curtains from other people's trash, a guy passing me on a bicycle called me, "crazy."

When the neighbors across the alley from me renovated their rental property, they put in new windows. I found broken windows in the alley. I asked their son if he'd store them carefully for me, so I could have them. He did it. But later, when someone tried to break into their house and I called to let them know, he called me "crazy."

When the landlord at the 2 story apartment building down the alley from me left a refrigerator, with the doors still on it, in the alley, I got my dolly and tools. I removed the doors and shelves. I dragged it onto my place. Two residents at that building called me "crazy."

When I found a feather bed stuffed into a trash barrel, I put it in my cart to bring home for washing. Two kids playing on the sidewalk called me "crazy."

Natural gas prices are going up this month by nearly 100%. I haven't heard when they'll go back down.

I now have a greenhouse for winter produce.

I now have enough firewood for bitter winter nights.

I now have sheet plastic, insulating my windows, but letting in light for my windowsill winter garden.

Now, I have a thick, feather cover for my winter bed.

They'll pay a fortune for heat and fresh produce this winter.

And I'm crazy?

No comments: