Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, October 31, 2003

When Does One Harvest Wild Onions?

well, I know onions are one of the things people keep in their root cellars over winter, so I'd guess they harvest them in late autumn/early winter?

I sprouted some garlic cloves in my winter garden this year. Just stuck em into 2 liter bottles with the tops cut off and filled with dirt. The garlic is a foot tall right now, and looks to grow all winter for spring harvesting.

I've also got some chives out in my greenhouse that are flowering.

I would think onions of any kind would "fatten up" until their tops froze. Then, they'd start to rot to sweeten the soil for all the little onion sets that fell off the flower head to grow next spring.

I'm a Californian. We can grow stuff all year long; especially underground foods.
*********
Bill Geist of CBS made fun of this guy. He takes people on tours of Central Park and shows them wild edibles. He got arrested once for eating the park. Now, the parks dept. has hired him to conduct the tours!

Geist, of course, covers the "weird" stories, like vacuum cleaner racing compititions, pumpkin chucking, etc.

I wish they'd handled the story with more respect. Lots of people eat wild foods.

Into The Wild

No comments: