Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, October 20, 2003

Snobbery Abuse

A member of sustainable cough living writes:

Derek: "The first one suggested that we must a) read a specific
article in an Albuquerque newspaper, and b) respond in a specific
way."


You teach language. The above statement is not based on reality. Nowhere in my posts will you read anything like what you've said. Either you didn't read me well, or you are fabricating and attributing motives. If the latter, I would suggest to you that this is a sustainable living mail group. It's not a competitive debate society, in which unsubstantiated accusations and attributions qualify as "winning" something.

I simply tried to share what I thought was good news. Not specifically MY good news, but good news for our entire community.

How often are there articles in the paper about people who are actively living a sustainable lifestyle? Especially, how often are there such articles written specifically about citizens of Albuquerque? Is this not a good and constructive thing?

As to response, there was NO response. No well wishes, no commentary, no acknowledgement, at all!

Sorry I don't have a degree, a credit card, connections and all the other trappings which "prove" one's validity. I am a good person, and this list is treating me like a pariah.

I doubt, from the replies I've seen, that you would, stripped of your priviledges, be capable of surviving with much dignity, grace, integrity or purpose, if at all.

I've asked for nothing but acknowledgment that OUR work, OUR efforts, OUR commitments were broadcast to the larger community by a local, commercial news outlet! Speaking of JOY!

I'm sorry I didn't get the "secret handshake," so I'd be permitted to dialogue with you without overt hostility, disinformation, condescension and prejudice.

I didn't realize "Sustainable" living was a secret society. I thought it was a social commitment, to improve all our lives.

No comments: