Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, October 26, 2003

Good News/Bad News

Left on scooter about 9am. I'm going to have to figure out the air/fuel mix. Had a devil of a time starting it in the cold.

Good news: I can drive it to the Cultural Center.

Bad news: lost the kick stand and the throttle cable came undone.

Good news: when it's running well, as it was on the return trip, it takes about 1/2 hr, one way.

Bad news: it wasn't running well on the way, and I stopped and started too many times to repair things.

Good news: I make a lot of friends on that thing.

Bad news: I make a lot of friends on that thing.

EVERYBODY wanted to talk to me about it!! Especially men!

Good news: I can outrun dogs.

Bad news: dogs love to chase it.

Good news: I can carry about 20 lbs. on the handlebars, without the trailer

Bad news: I can't carry a drop more than that.

I think I'll just run it with the trailer from now on. It's a more stable ride, anyway.

Good news: I can drive up the bridges across the rail yard.

Bad news: until I can fix that brake, it's terrifying to drive DOWN the bridges across the rail yard.

I'm going to have to remember to detour the police station, court house, civic plaza down town; that's TOO scary!

As far as I know, this thing is considered a bicycle here and requires no special licences, etc.

But, apparantly, nobody here has ever seen one of these things before, and that includes cops, who might hassle me, just for being different and cuz they don't know WHAT to do.

Sure wish I knew where to buy a spare tire/wheel for it. I'll have to research it. I was swerving to avoid marble-sized gravel, pop tops and broken glass.

I even stopped at Stadium Grocery on my way back, even tho it's a little out of the way, just to see that I could do it. Got two 2 litre bottles of Coke for a buck each. I was so thirsty, I opened one out front, lit a cig, and drank it WARM!

It was about a 3 hr trip, but I got a lot more done than I do on my usual 3 hour run for cigs at the cultural center.

Once I get the kinks out of the air fuel deal and adjust the brake, I should be ok.

Gonna have to rig a new kick stand. I need a wind shield, too. and that back fender to protect skirts.

Right now, tho, I need me some pork, vegies and taters.

All day on an empty stomach!

No comments: