Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, October 27, 2003

Money

Something I'll never understand about people who criticize the poor. They have no concept of having no money!

When I said the free food pantry was a 3 mile walk from my house, a woman at church asked, "can't you take the bus?" Um, if I had a dollar for the bus, I'd just walk up to Wendy's 3 blocks away for a hamburger!

Another woman asks why, after a friend did so much for me, I didn't send her a bunch of my pumpkin candy, for free, for her to give to her office mates. Well, shipping heavy pumpkin candy for an office full of people would cost a minimum of ten dollars, for one thing. For another, they have JOBS; they could BUY my pumpkin candy, which is the POINT! Besides, I reimbursed her support by slipping light-weight, expensive items I've found in the trash with her crafts purchase.

Why don't I go to school for job training? And live, where? A cardboard box under the interstate?

I have to relate to people who piss away more on fast food in a month than I do for four months' groceries. They just CAN'T or WON'T see the difference! It's so frustrating.

I explain and explain, repeating myself until I wonder if anybody in this country has any reading comprehension left, and I'm expected to explain it again! Gimme a break! LOL

People think they have the right to criticize the most intimate aspects of my life because of my income: I should dye my hair, so the grey doesn't show; I should wear better looking shoes; I should throw out all my art supplies and tools, so my apartment won't look "so cluttered." I should, I should....

Hair dye costs money; my shoes come out of the trash; my art supplies and tools are how I earn money.

It's pretty freaky.

No comments: