Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Scooter Boy

If you want to know about me, perhaps you ought to read my blogs.

If you had, you would know:

I'm not a Lesbian.

I don't weigh 300 lbs.

I do work.

I do seek employment.

I EARNED the disability benefits and food stamps I receive; I have been employed for over 30 years.

I have multiple sclerosis and am: physically disabled, nerve damaged, partially blind.
*************
and every time I get on that scooter, to look for work, to volunteer in community service, to take my dog to the vet, to buy groceries, to sell my arts and crafts at the flea market, to go to church....

...I will remember being called a "fat bitch leech" by you.

I have spent the day working very hard to get ready to go job hunting on that scooter. I have also spent the entire day crying.

I will owe the bank that money for a long time; they'll charge me $15/mo. to borrow my own money from the following month's disability check. That's $180 in service charges for a year.

I took a big risk, buying that scooter.

I did it because winter's coming and I'm going out of remission. Even if I weren't getting sick again, it would be very hard for me to walk around in the cold at this 5,000 ft. above sea level altitude.

So, I took the gamble.

I want to get job training and employment.

I can't do that right without some form of transportation.

So, I will remember the hateful things you've said about me, everytime that scooter is between my legs.

And I will do great things with nothing, as usual.

Where ever I am, things are better: gardens grow, art appears, music fills the air, delicious smells come from the kitchen, children are educated and nurtured, the destitute receive respect and help, animals are rescued and given sanctuary.

And you will still be mocking people's differences, tearing people down for things they can't help, causing pain.

I'll remember you. My whole life is about resisting the destruction and sickness you try to cause.

And I'll ride as far away from your damage as I can on that cheap, toy scooter.

But first, I'm washing the whole scooter down with herbal waters, to try to cleanse the stench of you off it.

No comments: