Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, October 10, 2003

"Solidarity?"

Tomorrow, they're holding an event as an alternative to celebrating "Columbus Day."

I can sell my arts & crafts there. I just called to make sure. All they ask is that I donate something they can raffle off.

Here's the catch. It said, "indigenous" arts and crafts. I'm Black, white and red. I look white. So, I asked, "this is never a comfortable subject for me, but, is there a problem that I appear white?"

No, it's not a problem. But that's only because their event is being held on the last Saturday night of Balloon Fiesta, and they have plenty of craft booths left.

In other words, if space were limited, light skinned vendors would be less of a priority than dark skinned vendors.

I'm going, anyway, as I have bills to pay and cats to feed. But I'm not happy about this.

PS: Sally Alice is one of the speakers. She's the "Peace" lady who pushed me when I tried to defend my reputation against that woman who accused me of stealing food from the homeless.

On the other hand, Simon Ortiz is speaking (I hope he reads some of his poetry). I really like his stuff.

Here's their blurb:
2nd Annual International Day of Solidarity w/Indigenous Peoples
Saturday, 11 October 2003
05:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Organizer: First Nations North & South
2nd Annual International Day of Solidarity With Indigenous Peoples - an alternative to Columbus Day

"RETURNING IT BACK, YOU WILL GO ON" (poem from Woven Stone, by Simon Ortiz)-Celebrate our Survival

Featured Readings and Speaker: SIMON ORTIZ, Acoma, Author, Poet, University of Toronto

Music by:
Strike! - reggae band from the Dine' rez
Dancing Horse Drum
Okello Kello Sam from Uganda; African Song & Dance

SPEAKERS:
Dr. Glenebah Martinez-Taos/Dine' Nations; University of New Mexico

Dr. Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz-Ally; U.Cal/Hayward

Ofelia Rivas-O'odham Nation; U.S./Mexico border issues

Maurus Chino-Acoma; Conquistador
Celebrations

Ron Hinson-African American; Patriot Act, "Homeland Security"

Okello Kelo Sam-Ugandan; Uganda's rich culture and traditions

Wahleah Johns & Roberto Nutlouis-Dine' Nation; NAU Youth Dine' Activists
& Black Mesa Water Coalition; World Conference On Sustainability

Wynoma Foster-Dine' Youth; EDAUM: Eastern Dine' Against Uranium Mining

Donna House-Dine';Dine' CARE: Citizens Against Ruining the Environment

Sally Alice Thompson-Ally; SOA (School of the Americas) WATCH

Apolinar Simbron-Totenec Nation; Totonecs from Vera Cruz, Mexico

Come and network, organize, learn, unite our struggles....

Indigenous Arts & Crafts Vendors Welcome! First come, first served

Fundraiser to send 7 Northern Indigenous (Americas) reps to the 10th anniversary of EZLN/Chiapas; fact-finding mission & media production

No comments: