Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

The Plants Are In

I hung a 1/2 gal. zinc bucket with fennel, parsley and cabbage. On the back shelf (which I made from the freezer door and a plank of lumber), I put a 2' planter of iris, a basket of parsley, a pot with marigold & chive.

I didn't use the molded shelves from the freezer door.

I made a shelf each for the south and north walls. On the south, I have a chili plant and a pot of parsley. On the north, I have a pot of rosemary and a pot of catnip.

In the freezer compartment, I have 6 wastepaper baskets. 4 aren't planted yet. 1 has oregano; one has marigold and anise.

In the refrigerator compartment, I have 5 five-gal. paint buckets: 3 aren't planted yet, one has a gourd seedling I'm just trying to save as an experiment. One has a 3' tall tomato plant in a cage with 3 tomato babies on it. That one almost KILLED me, dragging it through my tiny yard and lifting it into the greenhouse without damaging anything!

I didn't paint the inside black. The back shelf and wall are lined in black plastic, and so are the north wall and roof. By the time the sun came up this morning, it was already over 80°f inside!

I still need to remove the flaking paint outside, rehang one of the windows which is a tiny bit crooked, and paint the outside.

I'll have to hand-pollinate the chili, tomato and gourd, but that's ok with me.

I can reach every plant in there without hurting myself. It's easy to water with either hose or, once it gets too cold for that, pitcher of water.

I'll take some photos when it's done.

I'm still ruminating about what to plant in the empty containers... I know I'll transplant some stuff from the empty lot beds, and gawd knows I've got some seeds! LOL

I couldn't finish everything today, cuz I'm just too damn tired.

But the plants are in. After I rest awhile, I'll put the lights back in before dark.

On cold freeze days, I'll also put my 8" box fan inside, to circulate air and prevent freezing plants.

It's really cute, too: not a bit tacky!

No comments: