Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, March 29, 2004

eggs, eggs, eggs!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Found 10 more fresh eggs. That means I have a total of 22, for the past 3 days. I'll eat some, feed some to the animals and I'm saving up some for Food Not Bombs next week; I want to make French toast, cuz they get a LOT of bread and seem to score plenty of soy milk. I'll make a fruit compote to go with it and there's powedered sugar, too. They have a real grill at Project share, so I'll cook the toast on that.

BUT! I also found a NEST! I'm not going to tell you where it is, cuz local people read this blog, too, and I don't want them pilfering my egg stash.

But I found a hen, setting 15 eggs. It's in a place I walk past, every day, while I'm egg hunting. But she had it so well hidden, you really couldn't see it. Porkchop found her, setting. I felt guilty about it, but I robbed the nest. If I can find it, someone else could, too. These are chicks now; disturbing the eggs would be killing.

So, I dragged their stinky butts home and put them in my incubator with my others. I'm now incubating about 25 babies. good lord....

I'll try to sell some chicks, when they hatch. They'll be imprinted on me, so they'll make good pets.

It's seven thirty now. I'm frozen solid. Porky's back in bed with his nose under the covers.

I'm gonna make me some egg tacos for breakfast, after I take my shower. I'm going to fry an apple with cinnamon, honey and butter, too. I'm only using one egg; there's free food at the radio station! LOL

I talked with a maintainance guy today. He gets free burritos from a shop on campus. He will meet me at the duck pond around nine and give me some. Soon as he found out how much I work for food, he volunteered them.

So, I'm feeling a lot more secure about food.

Between the eggs, Food Not Bombs, and leftover burritos, I could save up my food stamps for cost-prohibitive stuff. It would be nice to be able to afford soy flour, whole grains, fresh produce, more condiments, etc.

Plus, I'm getting ready to garden.

Winter is always hard: there just isn't much food. Especially after xmas; people stop donating to food pantries.

Well, time to shower, breakfast and head to the station. I'll c u L8terz

No comments: