Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, March 28, 2004

funny

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I forgot to tell a story about what happened to me last night.

I went to my Volunteer training class at KUNM. It starts at 5 and ends at 7.

By then, of course, it's dark. It's Saturday night, which is always scary, cuz the drunks are out. And, for the most part, the campus is deserted. I go through student housing and, except for a few people who've stayed home to drink and have sex, it' completely empty.

And I know there are homeless alcoholics who hang out on campus.

Plus, I'm scared of drunk, college boys. They can be vicious.

So, I always try to get through campus as quickly as possible. As scary as it is, it's still better than surface streets and drunk drivers.

So, I put Porkchop in the trailer and drove as fast as I could. I don't have very good night vision, so I can't go full throttle, because I wouldn't see debris or potholes quickly enough to avoid them.

Here we go, putting across campus, through student housing, past the duck pond, toward the Yale Street exit.

As I'm approaching the exit, a group of people is walking in the mall. I don't know why: class? meeting? party? whatever.

At first, they didn't hear me approach from behind them; they were all talking. Usually, my little motor makes enough racket, people turn to look at what's coming.

I got right abreast of them before they saw me. They started laughing, of course, because I'm probably the most startling thing they've seen in at least a week.

Then one guy sees Porkchop in the trailer. He shouts to the others, "LOOK! She's pulling a PIG in that basket!"

I laughed the whole way home. I'm still laughing.

This morning, Porky and I went to the pond REALLY early, just after 7am. I wanted duck eggs, before someone else got them.

We were completely alone. I let go of Porky's leash and let him wander. He didn't dash away, like he would have in the old days. He circled the pond, pranced on the grassy berms, sniffed duck nests, drank and waded in the shallow end, and generally behaved like a sane and healthy dog.

I'd found a dog toy in the street on the way: 2 tennis balls, attached to a handle. It's called a ball bone.

I threw it for him several times. He ripped and ran in circles, charging at me, holding it in his mouth. He'd lay in the grass and gnaw on it. He'd growl at me, if I tried to swipe it from him, but it was a happy growl.

We've only had the scooter running again for about 2 weeks. Porky's been trotting at my side almost daily, about three miles.

Already, his gut is tighter and today I actually saw a rib for the first time since I rescued him!

He's bright eyed, bushy tailed and happy as hell to be well exercised and stimulated by the outside world.

In about ten minutes, I'm driving solo down to Food Not Bombs. I'm going to help cook today's meal for the homeless people at Civic Plaza, in exchange for some food for myself.

I'm not taking Pork; it's a long trip and it'll be hot out when I'm done. It's about 10 miles, round trip.

But I'll come home with free food.

Got 11 eggs at the pond today. Actually had to move some brooding hens to gather the eggs in their nests.

Came home and made me a great "pancake." 3 duck eggs, about 1/4 c flour, vanilla and milk, in a cast iron skillet, covered. I warmed butter, a little pancake syrup and pineapple juice, with a slice of pineapple, in the microwave. I put the pancake on top of the syrup, then flipped it, so both sides got some.

Osa, my carbohydrate cat, drove me nuts, until I gave her crusts of pancake to eat.

It was a cross between a sweet omlette and a German pancake, but cooked on the stove, instead of in the oven.

I wanted a full belly before I go to Food Not Bombs.

No comments: