Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, March 08, 2004

scooter's ready

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
I took the scooter out, put it up on a table, and checked out the rear wheel assembly. I took it apart to remove the old inner tube.

In order to change the inner tube, I have to disassemble the brakes, remove the drive chain, remove the axle, remove the chain gear, and unbolt the wheel. The wheel's in two pieces, and the tire won't come loose until I split the wheel!

Lots of easily-lost, tiny parts.

I took out the tube and put the entire wheel assembly back together as it had been, so I won't forget its order.

I folded up some of the laundry I'd done on Saturday. I finished the cart wheel job.

Bob, the homeless guy, came by for a hair cut and some tamales.

He'd brought me some tamales he gets at a factory. They put them out when the date is up. They throw out lots of them. So, it looks like I have free dog and cat food, as long as he brings me some.

His hair is fine and curly. He's been wearin a wool cap for four months. The hair was matted like a Brillo pad. And something nasty and crusty, which seems to be eminating from an old scar on his scalp, was crusted into it. No bugs.

I wrapped a sheet of plastic around him, like a smock. I made him rub some hand lotion into his hair, to act as conditioner and detangler.

I tried very very hard not to touch his hair or head.

I used a wide toothed comb and gently pulled the mat away from the scalp. I had to cut through the matting in five places, just to loosen it up enough. I didn't want to cut his hair too close to the scalp.

It took me about an hour to cut all the mats out. I'd managed not to hack big gaps out of his hair. It was all at least an inch long.

So, I trimmed it up and evened it out.

I told him to come by this morning, after it warms up, to take a real shower and wash his head. He couldn't yesterday, as the hair cut ran late in the day. He doesn't want to be wet when it gets cold.

He bought a box of beer, and I actually drank a few.

The cow in the basement walked by. Porkchop was in the empty lot, sleeping on leaf mulch in one of my garden beds. She startled him and he growled and barked at her. He was on his leash, behind sturdy chain link fencing.

Before she saw Bob sitting there, she said, "I'm going to kill your dog!"

Bob didn't say anything and I ignored her and kept talking about what I was saying before she'd arrived.

After she was gone, I explained how the people in my bldg. treat me, that she's a ring leader. I asked him to continue to ignore her out bursts.

I'm glad to have a witness now, though.

She's a vicious drunk.

Porkchop couldn't and didn't hurt her.

Every dog along the alley did EXACTLY the same thing: at least five dogs. They all charged their chain link fences, growled, snarled and barked at her. But MY dog, she wants to kill. uh huh.

So, I'll make sure Porky's tether is short enough he can't reach her as long as she STAYS in the alley and doesn't try to approach my back gate.

She may have done something, deliberately, to provoke him; I don't know; I can't see that corner of the yard from my gate; there's a salt cedar tree in the way. That's why she only saw me, and not Bob.

I went to bed early last night.

Today is food stamps day. Smith's has lots of canned stuff on sale today, so Pork and I are going shopping in a few minutes.

It's going to be a hard week: shopping today, clinic and radion station tomorrow, station on Thursday. Lots of walking. I may have to skip the radio station tomorrow.

And Rachel, volunteer coordinator, wants me in volunteer orientation next Sunday. After I do orientation, I'm allowed to do more at the station.

I'm in SO MUCH PAIN. I'm really dreading walking today.

No comments: