Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, March 26, 2004

it's a class thang

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Before I begin, I need to clarify a vocabulary issue. "Hispanics," to me, are middle class and above yuppies. They like to wave their Spanish lineage as some sort of banner of honor. Given the history of the Spanish in New Mexico, I find this disturbing.

"Chicanos" are Latino natives, who've always lived here. They're racially probably more Indian than Spanish. They're working class, mostly. They're relaxed and comfortable with themselves and not easily threatened.

Hispanics are nervous nellies, with chips on their shoulders and something to "prove."

These are MY definitions, for purposes of MY writing. I do NOT presume to define people for themselves. I'm merely making this distinction to make it easier to understand ME.

I distrust Hispanics. My experiences with them have ALL been negative, oppressive and often terrifying.

I LOVE Chicanos, Latinos, Cholos, Mexicans (and other Latin immigrants). I've learned a lot from them and consider quite a few of them trusted friends. I respect their resourcefulness and creativity immensely. In the War Zone, they're basically brown skinned hillbillies. I understand them, enjoy their company and share their values.

Now for my story.

Since I put all the glittery stuff on my scooter, I've felt nervous around the university area. I hear too many stupid and abusive remarks, relative to the number of compliments and positive comments.

Today, I blew the rest of my money on a carton of cigarettes at the Pueblo Cultural Center.

It's a long trip: three hours by bus or two by scooter.

I got really brave and took the scooter. I left Porkchop at home. I didn't want to risk having to haul him in the trailer for long distances. And I knew I'd be so worried about breakdowns, I'd be impatient with him.

The Center is in the North Valley, which used to be a series of small, Latino villages and farms. It's all incorporated into Albuquerque, and vast tracts of former desert land has been developed into working class housing.

EVERYWHERE I stopped, people came up to the scooter and asked questions. NOBODY thought I was weird or crazy. They ALL thought the scooter was a brilliant idea, funny as hell, and imaginative.

They all know about Mexican vehicles, decorated to the gills with all manner of stuff.

Without exception, every Native and Latino person who spoke to me today was encouraging, supportive and impressed by my scooter and trailer contraption! And they loved hearing my stories about it: from how I pull Porky in the back when he gets tired of trotting beside it to my adventures with flat tires and carbeurator adjustments.

And they completely got why it's so gawdy and covered with stuff I've found in the trash.

I had MORE FUN talking with total strangers today than I've had in a LONG time!

That's it; just wanted to record that and thank the working people of color in the North Valley of Albuquerque for giving me such a wonderful and healing day.

No comments: