Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

thunderstorm!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I left the station early today. Renee's back to work, and she knew I plan to come in tues, thurs around 1pm, but she wasn't there and nobody had any work for me. So I left.

As I was leaving, I saw rain in the sky to the West; didn't appear to be hitting the ground, though.

Got in, got my clothes off and food put away, covered the scooter, picked up dog poo and whomp! it started raining.

Fat plops, so it might not last too long. Fresh breeze, distant thunder, pissed-off cats, cuz they can't play out doors in the warm sun.

If it rains a lot, I'll garden this weekend in the rain softened soil. I hate wasting water, just to cultivate!

I slowly rode my scooter to 7/11 this morning, to air up the tires. Pushed against the valve stem of the new back tire and the damn thing went up inside the wheel! Couldn't pull it back out.

So, I sat on a coca cola crate and took off the brake, gears, back wheel. Took the wheel apart, fished out the damn valve stem, put everything back together. Took a long time.

Went to Smith's, who had marked down bagels and marked down chicken parts; bought some. Treated myself to 2 cans of sardines in hot sauce and a bag of pork rinds at the Dollar Store.

Drove to university.

BILLIONS of people walking around! Drove right through them, with my Tijauana Taxi contraption.

Found five duck eggs at the pond and pushed Porkchop in. He doesn't swim, voluntarily. But he's learning the pond is a great way to cool down, so he didn't mind. On the way back, he waded in up to his chest, all on his own.

He was tired! I tried to drive slow, but I just can't drive as slow as I walk. So, I put him in the cart about 3 times during the day and drove him.

Young men especially think that's funny as hell: big ass pit bull, inside a glittery cart, getting pulled around like I'm a ricshaw driver!

When I let him off his leash at the back gate, he came right in here and died on the bed. Hasn't moved since.

Cats are glad to see me. They got some pork rinds, too.

It's real rain; it's now a steady rain. And the sky's completely grey now. Looks like it could rain for awhile.

We sure need it. They're saying we're still having drought this year again; maybe one of the worst in a long time.

I'm really worried about the water situation here. I expected it to be hot and dry, but this is bad. Big ol' trees that can survive on no extra watering are dying all over town.

Bark beetles are eating the pinon pines, which are catching fire. The trees are sickly from the drought; that's why the beetles get em. It's a beetle plague out there.

I hope the weather service is wrong. I hope we get lots of rain and everything heals.

The daffodils, crocus, hyacinth and tree blossoms are fantastic. The witch's broom is blooming, too.

Nice to see people walking about in shorts and such.

Winter is hard here; spring is healing. Summer's hard, too. But, just when you think you can't stand anymore, along come the summer monsoons in late July and August.

Last year, we hardly had any monsoons, at all. There was no relief from the dry and the heat. I bet the murder rate went up. It was so miserable.

Scooter's running fine, but I need to tighten the throttle cable; it's loose.

ps: I think I'll make me some chicken fingers later, and eat em with honey mustard!

No comments: