Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

happy heart, tired feet

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

What a fabulous day! I froze my nips off, going with Porkchop for eggs. Got six.

Came home, made a duck egg, goat cheese and green chili omlette, with a tomato and three tortillas.

Wore my black, denim skirt. It's got beads sewn on one side, near the hem, in the shape of a flower. I just finished adding elastic to the sprung waist band. Wore my black petticoat under it. Wore my red, flannel shirt with little mallards printed on it. Wore a brocade vest. Quite dapper, if not trendy...cuz of the petticoat. But I LOVE petticoats! Screw style! LOL

Went back to the radio station early, so I could get me a breakfast pastry.

Worked the phones for three hours.

Then I started editing my commentary, "give as good as you get," posted below.

Recorded the sound file, edited it. Leslie was impressed that I already know how to edit.

Waited around to hear the evening news broadcast and to get some dinner. Tonight, they had spicy chicken, corn mush, mixed vegetables and giant strawberries.

When I walked up, I pointed to the mush and said, "what's this? Mush?"
Someone said, "it's polenta.

I said, "that's what I said: mush. 'Polenta' is just what Italian hillbillies call it."

I've asked that the leftovers be refrigerated tonight, so I can take them home tomorrow.

We had a Pasta Salad Trajedy today: the leftovers from LAST night got left out all night, and were thrown away before I could rescue them!

I had 3 slices of health food pizza, salad, candy, salsa and chips for lunch! And I put away 3 more of those health food colas.

I'm eatin'! LOL

Somenone at the station is asking about me. This is a person who may be able to authorize $ to employ me as an editorial assistant in News. I probably shouldn't even be writing this yet. Who knows if there's money in the budget, if it's bureaucratically possible, if other people want me under foot everyday...etc.

But the fact that people are asking about me as a potential employee is VERY gratifying! It means the world to me that I'm even under consideration.

As I walked the halls after the news broadcast, people in the halls complimented me on my commentary. Native American women called it "beautiful." White dudes called it "right on."

But the best was Renee, the news director. She's fussy. She's blunt. She scares the hell out of me. And she's been so sick, I don't think that helps her temperment.

She said it was fine writing, really good. She said it several times.

Damn!

So, I don't know whether to laugh, cry or drop dead of exhaustion.

I owe my blogs lots of work, but I'm sooo tired, I don't know if I'll get it done.

I'm in so much pain. My eyes don't focus well.

But my dog wiggled his butt off when I got in the house. The cats are hovering near by, glad I'm home.

A friend's going to loan me a chain saw, so I can cut down that @#$%^!!! salt cedar in the empty lot. I'm planning to plant my garden next week.

I went to a nice concert with them last night, at Keller Hall, at UNM. A friend of his was having his composition performed there. It was a symposium...what ever that means...of New Mexico composers.

There were some pieces that just didn't work for me, but all of them were interesting. Some made me stifle giggles. Especially one that was short piano pieces. They didn't seem to have a beginning or an end. It was like turning on a radio for a few minutes and turning it back off in the middle of a piece. I later said I thought that's what it would sound like if ee cummings wrote music for Warner Brothers cartoons! Stu's friend's piece was really interesting and quite beautiful.

I play complained all night. I was dressed nicely, but wearing my heavy-foam-soled bedroom slippers, cuz my feet hurt so bad from standing on the scooter so much.

I am such a savage about public spaces anymore. Stinky buildings, distracting noises (like a cell phone and a breathing machine) drove me crazy.

One woman was dressed in a raggedy, fur jacket. At first, I said it was squirrels. She was wearin a weird, flannel skull cap. She was very skinny. Her whole outfit was very wacky. She reminded me of something...finally, I got it! She looked like the Ice Man, that mummified, bronze age body they found way up on the Alps.

Every time I looked at her, I cracked up.

I noticed everything. It was fun.

I apologized to Stu and Joey for complaining so much, and being grouchy, to which Stu said, "that was grouchy?"

THAT was a relief! I was afraid they thought I didn't appreciate the invitation and the experience.

But they got it.

At some point, during an intermission, as I was whining about something and making jokes about it, I asked Joey, "ain't I a fun date?" and we both cracked up.

No comments: