Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

scooter tubes coming!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Just got the email this morning, acknowledging my payment and order. SHOULD have the tubes by next Tuesday. OH! I hope so!

I'm planning to stay home this week. I have lots of spring cleaning to do. I have the garden to start. And I need to rest my aching body.

It was so warm yesterday, I slept all night with the bedroom window open, and wasn't freezing when I woke. The cats ran in and out all night, fighting on the window sill. sigh.

I got clean linens on the bed yesterday and it's all soft and gooshy. I hate to get up. My sore bones sink into fluffy pillows and my feather bed and just say, "aaah!"

I made burrito filling yesterday. Bob, the homeless guy, had placed 2 bags of dry lima beans and a bag of elbow macaroni over my fence.

Now, I have, historically, hated lima beans my whole life. But I thought, what the heck? Let's see what I can do.

I rinsed 2 cups of dried beans. I soaked them in 2 cups water and a can of chicken broth.

I added a can of those "Mexican style" sliced tomatoes, a small can of green chili.

I have this "shrimp flavored" powdered boullion. It's a brand sold in Mexico. I sprinkled some of that in, assuming the shrimpiness would be drowned by the other seasonings; it was. I have lots of that stuff; it was marked down to fifty cents a jar, and I bought four jars. A whole pot of food only requires a few tablespoons.

I brought the pot to a boil and reduced to a slow simmer. I added meat from my turkey drumstick, but any meat will do. It was only about a cup of meat. And I added some turkey fat, too. I added some Mexican picante sauce.

I let the pot simmer all day, about eight hours. I drained the broth from the beans and saved it with about 1/3 of the beans, for soup.

I smashed 1/3 of the beans with another tablespoon of turkey fat until it made a fine paste. I added 1/3 drained, whole beans and mixed it thoroughly.

I smear a few tablespoons on a tortilla, add scant sour cream and very thinly sliced goat- and cheddar cheese, dice 2 ounces of turkey over it, add a few tablespoons of cooked rice.

I fold the burrito in a large frying pan and slowly warm it on both sides.

Lima bean refries are actually just as tasty as pinto refries, as long as they've been thoroughly soaked and cooked in flavored broth!

No comments: