Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, March 01, 2004

REAL nutritional info!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com
finally, some decent dietary info!

I don't have digestive problems, that I know of, but my cholesterol's high. So, I googled "high fiber," and this was the very first site, WITH sample diets:

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm

Seems I was right about carrots.

Pintos are pretty low on the list, for some reason. But lentils are high in fiber, and I can cook them with almost anything.

Fruit fiber, I've been hearing, is better for cholesterol reduction than vegetable.

And when they say brown rice is more beneficial than white, they MEAN it! It's about 4 times higher in fiber, and heavens only knows how many more vitamins and minerals it has!

I have a theory. Y'know how the atkins diet says carbs make you hungry?

I'm thinking we're not supposed to eat 3 meals a day. I think we were designed to eat all day, every day, whenever we could snag something edible, most of which would be leaves, seeds, grains, roots, etc, with a smattering of protein (which is harder to CATCH!).

I'm thinking that, if I keep a good supply of fruit, vegetables, whole grain foods and other COMPLEX carbohydrates around and nibble all day, I'll be happier.

It's sort of what I've been doing, all along, anyway. But I wasn't focusing on complex carbs, esp. fresh produce.

Can you tell I'm getting ready for my foodstamps to come in a week?

I'm going to experiment this month.

I'm going to try to eat at least one small bowl of lentils or beans, every day.

My every day diet will also contain one of each of the following:

fish

fiber cereal

fruit

whole grains

soy

Now, I don't have to eat a lot of any of it, just so I get a little every day.

I'm going to stop buying marked-down bread at Smiths; it's made with white flour. I'm going to buy some other flours and experiment with making my own breads, crackers and pastas. Homemade is much cheaper than store bought. I see rye crackers there; they're perfect with fish, and I really like them.

I'm interested in soy flour, if there is such a thing, mixed with white flour, to make pastas, dumplings, etc.

Sure wish I could shop online for food, but I have stamps. Getting to Wild Oats market and the Evil Food Co-op is HARD! They're pretty far away. The coop is expensive. WO would be cheaper, but would take half a day, waiting for busses.

http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/soyflour.html

http://www.soyfoods.com/

WARNING: I WOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM "REVIVIAL FOODS!" THEY ARE A FUNDAMENTALIST "CHRISTIAN" OUTFIT!

No comments: