Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, March 12, 2004

gawd

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.comWell, I called at 10:30, as instructed; he knew nothing and asked me to call back at 1pm. I called at 1pm and was told he'd call me at 2pm. I waited 'til 2:15 and called the office.

He'd left and was on his way here; he'd said he wasn't coming here today.

Went out front and stood in rain, waiting. He showed up, and KEPT me waiting in the rain, while he completed a cell phone call from the comfort of his car.

He walked up the steps, right past me, to change locks on a vacant apartment.

I explained I couldn't climb the steps without a bannister.

He said he'd talk to me on Monday!

I said I'm not spending the weekend, worrying whether or not I'm going to be evicted.

So I CRAWLED up the steps to talk to him.

I explained I have a piece of paper that says they're filing court papers if this isn't resolved by 10am Tuesday.

He said they wouldn't, and that he'd remove TWO of the late charges. He asked when he'd ever promised me anything he hadn't done

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said, what about the bannister I've been asking for since I moved in?

You built a gate in the back.

Yes, because I'm that scared of other tenants in the bldg. BUt, when it's snowing or muddy out, it would be nice to go get my mail from the flat sidewalk, rather than the muddy, rocky alley!

I had collected my mail before he'd arrived. I showed him the box with my new scooter tubes..yes, they came today. I said I've been volunteering at the college radio station, walking three miles round trip each day. Now, I can ride my scooter. I showed him the application forms from Vocational Rehabilitation. I said, now, I can go back to school. I lifted my top lip so he could see my blackened and missing teeth. I said, now I can get dental care. I explained I'm malnourished on my $2/day food stamps.

I said, just when it looks like I can dig myself out of this hole of discarded syringes, screaming drunks, filth and poverty, here comes a threat of homelessness, and I freaked out. And justifiably so!

He HELPED me down the stairs.

He SAYS he'll have the book keeper go over everything with him and get back to me. He's also giving me my air conditioner, early in the season, to help spread out the costs of repairs and replacements of ac units.

It's raining out and I'm exhausted.

I'll put the tubes on the bike tomorrow.

That means, I can go to volunteer orientation at the radio station on my SCOOTER on Sunday, and don't have to walk! And I can go back to the station on Tues, cuz I don't have to wait for the tubes! AND I can take the scooter to Voc. Rehab. appointment, the next week.

I may even be able to participate in SOCIAL activities now!

The house is spotless. THere's a log burning in the fire place. I have a cup of hot cocoa/coffee. There's a cat sleeping on my knee. My laundry's all done and put away. There's plenty of food.

I can start gardening now, and I won't be so worn out, now that I have my scooter tubes!

I don't know whether to cry, scream or laugh.

No comments: