Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Sunday, March 28, 2004

FOOD!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Food Not Bombs was a GREAT idea! Thank intelligence I got that dang scooter!

I made Beggars' Stew: basically, everything I could throw in a pot.

I call it Jesus Soup, cuz it's so thick, you can walk on it!

Soy milk, several cans of cream of mushroom and vegetable soups, chicken broth, lentils, brown rice, LEEKS!!!, squash, portabella mushrooms, several kinds of pasta.

I made over five gallons.

I made dumplings for it from some baking mix and soy milk, with chicken seasoning, parsley, black pepper and basil. I had enough left over I made a pan biscuit and cut it into two dozen pieces.

Then, I made peach flan. Health food pudding mix, soy milk and a can of pureed sweet potatoes. Put 3 cans of peaches and apricots in it. Reduced the canning juices to syrup with some mollasses sugar for caramel sauce. Sprinkled with waffle icecream cone crumbs and powdered sugar!

Everything I made was full of protein and vitamins, without meat...except for the chicken broth.

Others made: salad, guacamole, fresh baked tortilla chips, millet, stir fried vegies and rice, corn bread and apple cherry compote.

I brought home half a gallon of soup, a small package of pinon coffee, the rest of the sugar, fruit and vegetables, two cartons of soy milk, a bottle of teriaki marinade, a couple dozen corn tortillas, and two leeks.

I FORGOT to bring home four loaves of bread, instant chai tea, more fruits and vegies. Dang!

I had a BALL! We got there at 9, cooked, and arrived at Civic Plaza before noon. We served about two dozen homeless people, who really loved everything...we're all good cooks! Talked, laughed, told jokes, and generally goofed around.

Then, we packed the dirty dishes, went back to Project Share and cleaned up.

It's all a fabulous bunch of young people. I don't think anybody there was thirty. I was the old fart.

They're hard working, committed kids who believe so much in social justice, they actually DO something about it! Every week, rain, snow or shine, they haul enough food to Civic Plaza to feed the homeless on SUndays. They scavange dumpsters, accept donations from stores. They're good souls.

I gave my little neighbor girl, who lives in front of the empty lot, a batch of the soup. She said it actually sounds really good. She's sick, so this'll help. Home cookin', wholesome grub, easy to throw in the microwave.

So, that was my day.

You bet your butt I'll be back next week!

I had a fabulous time!

No comments: