Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, March 13, 2004

up early

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Up at 5am. Tried to snooze, but I wanted to get up. I'm back to going to bed earlier, so I can have the morning light. I do this every year: get up late in winter and early in summer. But making the change in my sleeping pattern takes about a week or two.

It's chilly out; I have cats all over the bed: my fur thermometers.

Bob, the homeless guy, knocked on my bedroom window last night. I don't want him doing that; I need my privacy, without shrouding the sunlight. He wanted to pay me the two dollars I loaned him. I told him to keep it until I really needed it. I fed him a plate of macaroni n cheese and steamed cabbage with salt and pepper. Then I threw him out, cuz I needed to rest.

I was having trouble walking last night and my balance was off. I was just worn out.

I'm listening to Isabelle Allende on "New Dimensions" on KUNM right now. They wasted, in my opinion, too much of the interview on paranormal BS. Aggrevating. I really like her, though. I like her perspective. I've learned a lot about writing from interviews with her over the years.

I'm afraid, thanks to dyslexia and memory problems, I may have gotten the wrong size innertubes. They look too narrow, to me. Maybe I was supposed to get 8x2 1/2 rather than 8 1/2x 2? I'll check against tire size, later, and then figure out what to do. If I can't return them, I'll sell them on eBay. But it'll mean more time 'til I can drive my scooter. Damn. Too cold yet to go outside and check. But I'll bet I'm right. darn.

I made my ice tea with some green tea yesterday; I use 10 bags of cheapo tea, usually. This time, I substituted two cheapos for 2 greens. It's a lighter tea, less harsh. Still drinking coffee for breakfast, until I use it all up. Soon, I'll be on green tea brew, only, hot and cold.

I bought some dried anchovies at the Asian market the other day. I ground some up with crackers to top my mac n cheese. The cats love them; they're great cat treats!

My philosophy now is: cram as much healthy stuff in with the crap fodder I'm forced to buy cuz it's cheap. I can't stop eating cheap foods, but I don't have to be completely victimized by them, either.

BTW: you really can't taste the anchovies on the mac n cheese; they're just about like the cracker crumbs. But they're also omega 3 fatty acids, oil-based vitamins, extra protein, and a better source of salt!

I haven't had a soda pop in about five days. Don't really miss them.

I THINK I'm still losing weight, 'tho I can't tell. There seems to be loose skin on my belly and my gut's not as bloated.

I'm a little stronger, too. I really noticed this when I got angry and left the food boutique aka co-op. I went up an entire flight of stairs quite quickly, with not extra pain, and wasn't fatigued when I got to the top. That hasn't happened in a while!

Coulda been the adrenaline, from being angry and hurt that I couldn't afford the food. But that wouldn't have lasted long, and I would have felt after affects from the exertion. Nope, I'm getting stronger.

It's easy to eat a little fish, a little oatmeal and an orange every day. Balancing everything else is a pain though.

I'm still not eating enough servings of fruit/vegetables yet. It's a real challenge to find any cheap enough. Cabbage is cheap now, because St. Patty's day is coming up. So, I'll be eating cabbage 'til I want to die.

I'm lurking at the dumpster behind the produce market these days, but haven't found anything yet.

I'm also trying to convert to whole grains, rather than conventional snacks...not that I eat many snacks, anyway. But a steaming bown of multigrains, with a splash of soy sauce, sounds smart. And it tastes nice.

Well, I need to make some breakfast, so I can go out there and wrestle my scooter.

No comments: