Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, March 11, 2004

I'm freaking out

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I got a "late" notice today. It was stuck between the boards of my front gate, the one I don't use, on a very windy day. It says I own $120.-- in late fees!

My rent is due on the 1st. My disability check isn't deposited 'til the 3rd. I have to advance myself from next month's check, so I wait a day, to make sure that clears, before I mail my rent check.

I'm mailing my rent on the 4th. Before I signed the lease, I explained this to the manager. He said it's ok.

He TRIED to get me to mail a POST DATED check on the 1st. I said I won't do that; I don't know when they'll cash it, for one thing. For another, if there's any problem with my bank, the check will BOUNCE! THEN, I'd have both late fees of $50 AND an OVERDRAFT notice of $35!

ONE MONTH, a July, my rent didn't reach their office until the 7th. That's because mail isn't delivered on the 4th of July! AND it was a weekend!

They still cashed it by the 10th, which is the day they usually deposit the rent checks.

They sent a late notice. Tim, the manager and owner of the company, said he'd forgive it.

I don't remember the circumstances, but I remember something like that happened another time, too.

I have records of all this.

I do NOT have records of Tim's VERBAL promise that the late fees wouldn't be charged! DAMN it! But this is a SLUM! I DON'T want to provoke these idiots!

I've got tenants disturbing my work online and waking me with screaming. I've got tenants smoking SO much weed, my clothes on the line smell of it!

I've got tenants who SCREAM at me, threaten to kill my dog AND me! They insult me every time they see me! They're alcoholics, addicts and CRIMINALS!

I USED to try to get the mgmt. co. to make them tone it down and get off my back. They won't do anything without police reports! Cops won't take noise reports during the day. The woman in the basement warns Raoul the cops are coming, so he puts out the weed. His music is sporadic: deafening for fifteen minutes or an hour, then silence. By the time the cops come three hours later, he's often GONE!

It's only by the sheerest of luck I even saw that notice! If I hadn't done something about it by 10am Tuesday, they were taking me to COURT to EVICT ME!!!

They may yet!

My lease is up as of this month. I'm in a very vulnerable position.

My heater damn near caught fire; the wires were melted. It was going on when it was HOT outside!

I didn't have an air conditioner for two months this summer; they wouldn't replace it!

Landlords are REQUIRED to provide heat and air here; it's lethal here not to have them!

When I tried to talk to the secretary, she got pissed at me and said, "If you don't like it, MOVE!"

The mgr. wasn't there, of course, and I have to wait 'til tomorrow to talk to him.

He's coming here tomorrow. There's another electrical problem.

My electric cuts out, without warning, about once a month. Other units are effected, too. ANd the circuit breakers for my apt. are in Raoul's apt: the addict alcoholic who causes me the most disturbance and distress.

Since Tim's coming tomorrow, I quick borrowed that girl's vacuum cleaner, repaired it, and started cleaning house.

Except for the dishes and the trash, I have everything ok inside.

In the morning, I'll work on the outside.

I'm TOTALLY freaking out!

I JUST started volunteering at the radio station. I have my appointment with Vocational Rehabilitation this month. I'll have my SCOOTER running next week. I'm paying down that damned direct deposit advance at the bank!

I'm STARTING to get some stability, and now THIS???? JUST in time for me to have to decide whether to plant my GARDEN???

I have no money or vehicle for moving. I'm in SO MUCH PAIN!

I FREAK when people threaten me with homelessness!

I don't know HOW I'll manage to sleep tonight!

I'm the most responsible, dependable tenant in this whole SLUM! CRIPES!

No comments: