Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, March 04, 2004

RB Winning's coffee house is a fraud

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I waited 'til after the 5 o'clock news, b4 leaving the station today. I wanted to see if there was any reaction to my latest commentary KUNM. It's listed there, probably under news. You can hear it, too.

I did take Porkchop, because I was an idiot and trusted the weather forcasters when they said it was going to clear for the rest of the day. He spent a couple of hours in the radio station. Marcos likes him, even tho Porky jumped up in his office recliner chair. Marcos is the program director, and not someone you wanna piss off. Marcos took some digital photos of me and Porky; you'll see them tomorrow; I'm too tired.

I got me some fresh made tortillas at Frontier and headed over to Winnings.

I tried putting Porky out back, near the parking lot. BUt there was no protection from the rain. I tried to get him to sleep in the cart, covered with my umbrella and my shower curtain, but the curtain, blowing in the wind, scared him.

So, I brought Porky and the cart around front. THere's an awning and some lawn furniture on the side walk there.

I made him a "tent" out of the shower curtain and laid his blanket down for him to sleep.

A girl who worked there told me they don't allow dogs on their "patio."

It's pitch black out and raining like hell. Nobody's sitting out there. I could understand if it were a sunny, busy day, but come on!

So, I explained I just wanted to read, that I'd signed up to be 3rd and I could leave soon.

She said something with her back turned to me so I couldn't hear.

I had to disturb someone reading to chase her across the restarurant and ask what she'd said. She was being snotty.

SHe said the owner wouldn't like it. I explained I'd take responsibility, if he came in, so she wouldn't have any trouble. I also made it clear that these were exceptional circumstances which probably would never be repeated.

I also explained I'd walked very far in the rain to be there and that this was the first time in 20 years I'd read publicly.

I sat and listened to some other poets. Then, during a break, I went out to check on Porky, who was fine.

THat girl followed me out and said, "you're done reading now. Leave."

I said, "you don't have to act like a snotty cow about this. You're poisoning a very important night for me."

I started packing up.

A male employee, disguised as a hippy, came out and started on me. "I don't appreciate the way you spoke to her.

I said, I didn't appreciate the way she spoke to me, and what the heck did he think I said to her?

"You called her a snotty cow."

"No, I did not. I said she didn't have to ACT LIKE a snotty cow. I walked miles to get here. I don't have a car. I just needed some shelter for my dog for awhile...."

"I don't care."

So, I told him they were posers, hippy wannabees, fakes, superficial, all about the money with no substance.

He told me to go have intercourse with myself and got RIGHT in my face, like he was going to hit me.

"That's how you talk to customers?"

"That's how I talk to YOU!"

I told him the place is filthy; you can smell rotten food smells for a block away and the stench inside is repulsive.

Some health food restaurant, huh?

Some venue for poetry, huh?

And, about dogs on their so-called "patio" aka public sidewalk: I've walked past that place off and on for the past ten years. There are ALWAYS dogs out there! Occasionally a cat!

See, lots of homeless guys hang out there. So, they're playing bouncer with the freeloaders.

Y'know why I didn't buy a soda...although I really wanted one...while I was there? The stench. It's not a garbage in the alley stench; it comes from INSIDE the restaurant.

So, I'm never going back there again.

What a friggin FRAUD!

Just WAIT 'til people in this town start respecting my writing!

The BEST people in this town already dig me: people at the radio station!

Just WAIT 'til Vocational Rehab. gets done putting me through school and I start bringing in some serious money!

Maybe, in the mean time, I'll call the health department.

So, if you're coming through Albuquerque and want a nice place to eat, stay away from Winning's on the 100 block of Harvard, South East of Central Ave, across from University of New Mexico.

Who NEEDS it?

Actually, go to the Swiss bakery, next door. They're charming people, the food's fresh and professionally made. They've always been pleasant and respectful and don't mind I'm low income. And I leave Porky out front, under their tree, every time I shop there; they've never said a word.

This wasn't about Porkchop, at all. This was a way to slap a bag lady back in her place. HAH! NOT!

Meanwhile, some VERY good poets complimented me, which means the world...and the people listening laughed in all the right places.

To quote the Roche sisters, "All of you will buy a ticket, just to see my face again."

ps: the cats really missed me; they're all over me.

And Porkchop was SO good at the radio station today, I actually let go of his leash! He stayed right by my side.

No comments: