Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, May 10, 2004

and it's Monday again

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I'm in pain. I have to walk to the station and to the bank today. I'm really dreading it. Especially as I'll be pushing the little stroller, with my research, lunch and tote bag in it.

A hot shower will help a bit. I ran out of asprin.

It's going to be a hard day. It's getting hot here, and walking in heat is very hard on me.

I'm scared. And I'm discouraged, because I can't take care of my money stuff and go to that appointment on the same day, without a car or bus fare.

I've waited four months for help from Vocational Rehabilitation. I don't know what they'll do to me, when I miss that appointment.

But I've got to let it go. There's only so much I can do.

I didn't know that bank would reduce my income for the month by nearly half. There's no way I could have known, and nothing else I could have done to circumvent the damage they caused.

If that woman at the radio station hadn't bought me all that cat and dog food last month, I'd be in serious trouble this month.

Once I earn enough money to get out from under that direct deposit advance, I'll close that bank account, open a new one, and have Social Security deposit my check there. No more of this! A person shouldn't have to be afraid of their own bank!

I'll ask around at the station about financial institutions that are human. Wells Fargo isn't; they're opportunistic predators. And they have a policy of blaming the customers they victimize!

Heck, they STILL haven't posted my MSNTV bill for the month! They've received it; I checked my MSNTV account yesterday; Wells Fargo received the MSNTV bill on the 5th. But they haven't posted it into my account yet. They're hoping I'll overdraw my account, so they can charge fees.

They didn't post the "fee" for almost a week, for my desperate calls when my ATM card stopped working and I couldn't use my PIN number to check my accounts. They charge two dollars for customer assistance calls! Unless the customer couldn't access an account without personal assistance, which I couldn't. I can't access my account by phone without the PIN number. And the "online banking" statement is never up-to-date!

So, as soon as I can earn the three hundred dollars I'm having to advance myself every month, at a "fee" of ten per cent, I'm out of that crap hole.

Right now, though, I need to bathe, eat and pack lunch.

I really don't want to get out of this soft, comfortable, dark bed.

No comments: