Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, May 06, 2004

ugh

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Life is so weird.

I dawdled in bed this morning, not wanting to get up. I'm usually up by five, five thirty. At five thirty, I wasn't even ready to get out of bed. Tried to go back to sleep, but I know I won't. Once I'm up, I'm up.

Then, I told the attending cats & dog, "well, at least poor Bob Edwards didn't have to get up at 1am this week." I fumbled for the radio, punched the "on" button and....

....heard Bob Edwards!

NPR, stop messing with my HEAD! ESPECIALLY at five thirty, when I haven't had any coffee yet!

He was on "the other side" of the mic this morning, though. He was being interviewed about his book on Murrow.

Well, the FIRST syllable I heard in that familiar, morning purr filled my heart with happiness: Life was back to normal; Bob was back.

When I realized he was just an interview subject, my heart cramped back into that too-small space it's been occupying.

Bill Moyers is still retiring after the November elections. Bob is still gone. Air heads and bimbos still populate too many news rooms. And corporate interests keep turning everything into Infotainment and Infomercials.

Squeeeeeeeze.

I sighed, pushed a cat out of the way, shuffled to the kitchen and warmed up my giant Winnie The Pooh mug that holds two cups of tired, stale coffee from 2 days ago.

They ended the Edwards/Murrow piece with a quote from Murrow's famous "outing" of the corruption of the McCarthy mess: arguably the speech that put an end to the witch hunts: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

I put my coffee beside the bed in its customary shelf, crawled back onto the bed, fluffed a pillow, lit a cigarette and fired up the WebTV.

I'm not Bob Edwards, Bill Moyers, Edward Murrow. I'm just one little, gimpy, poor woman, with bad teeth, a toy scooter and a toy internet appliance (you should have SEEN the equipment the infotainers brought to that meeting last night! to produce superficial reports on a heart wrenching subject!).

It does my heart good, though, to learn from Edwards that Murrow faked his resume. He never went to a university. Of course, that was another time, before thorough background check, in the infancy of broadcast media, when nobody really knew how to do it nor what they were doing.

Still, if they let a guy like Murrow slip into their midst, I might stand a chance.....

No comments: