Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, May 03, 2004

Chutney

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I'm making chutney.

No, I don't know HOW to make chutney; I'm just DOING it! LOL

3 over-ripe mangos
1 papaya
1 pear
2 peaches
Juice from 1 naval orange
1/2 c dried fruit and nuts
1 tbsp. chili pepper flakes
1/4 c dark brown sugar
3 tbsp. honey
1/4 c water
1 peppermint tea bag contents, sprinkled in.

I put everything in a pot together, brought to boil, reduced to simmer.

It's cooking, uncovered, on the stove, over a pot protector, to keep it from scorching.

I scraped the mango out of its skins and off its stones. But I threw the stones in the pot, too, so the remaining flesh can cook.

I made something like it yesterday for Food Not Bombs, but it was a caramel sauce for puddings we made. It had more sugar/water to fruit (mangos and dried apricots).

The longer it cooks, the gooier it gets, but add water if it gets too thick. You want a jam-like consistancy to the chutney.

I put the peach skin in, too, for the pectin to thicken everything. I'll remove that, and the mango stones, before serving.

No comments: