Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Friday, April 09, 2004

6 hour nap

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Well, I guess all the running around today and the stress with the cop & KUNM yesterday finally caught up with me. I collapsed.

I woke about 9:30pm.

Still had food to put away.

The raw chicken and steaks that I froze went into zippy bags. I cut up the ham into zippy bags, too, and froze all of it except one giant slize that I fried with pineapple & juice, lightly smeared with maple syrup and just finished eating. Gawd, was that good!

The cooked chicken is in the fridge, along with the thawing lamb ribs.

The freezer is STUFFED with MEAT! It's more than a month's worth.

I have dozens of eggs. I'm going to boil most and dye them to hand out on Sunday to the homeless. I'll mark each with a crayon, in the shape of a peace symbol. When I dye them, the wax will leave a white peace symbol where the wax was.

So, all the homeless people will get a Peaceter Egg.

I'm looking for ways to prepare foods they can put in their pockets, for later. Boiled eggs are great for that.

We have a lot of hot meal food cooked up for them. We need more portable foods they can eat later, when it's cold and dark.

They can get food again on Monday, but Sundays are hard; all those "christians" shoo them away from their pretty churches.

I'm inventing a new word. Evil, selfish people have co-opted the word, "christian." I'm not a christian, anyway; that would imply I believe Jesus was a Messiah. I don't believe that. I believe we are ALL the Messiahs, the liberators, the redeemers.

HOWEVER: I've lived my whole life by the principles in the bible ascribed to Jesus. The radical, social justice values. The Beatitudes, the parables, etc. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church; I know my bible. And the only parts I ever identified with were those. The rest is double speak.

So, I'm working on this new word. If I'm not a Christian, what am I?

I guess the closest I've come to a descriptive, concise word is Jesusite: a desciple of Jesus.

The Christ stuff is all bogus.

Jesusite is kind of clumsy, but it's the best I've come up with, so far....

No comments: