Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Saturday, April 24, 2004

I'm so hungry!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

boy, I sure hope Steve remembers to pick me up this morning! I'm going to eat everything in the building for breakfast! I was WAY too tired to make supper last night.

I took a longer-than-usual and hotter-than-usual shower this morning, to relax my worn-out muscles and soothe my screaming joints.

Osa's being her usual, adorable self: fluffed up on the pillow by my elbow, totally ignoring me and making excuses for physical contact. The older she gets, the more svelte and luxurious she gets. What a fabulous coat!

Yesterday, I rememberd something Paul had told me: he said I'm a good interviewer. So I went to a workshop on interviewing techniques.

I only went to community colleges, with a smattering of University stuff. I didn't have money for more.

So, there are vital courses in communications which I'm missing.

The workshop was pretty basic journalism. But I'm glad I went; I learned a lot.

I'm intuitively good, because I'm interested in everything. And I like to research my subjects.

I also like to play hostess and make my guests feel welcomed.

So, with the stuff I learned yesterday, I ought to be much better in the future.

I surfed Paul's website last night: PaulIngles.com.

I wanted to learn about his back ground.

Jees, for a person with that much experience to say I'm a good interviewer means a LOT!

The respect I get for my work at KUNM is SO validating.

I'll never be a "normal" person again...if I ever was. Trauma twists things about trust.

But, if I stay focused and keep working hard, I think I can truly salvage this last part of my life and maybe even provide myself SOME comfort and security.

I've never had those. If I did, it was only temporary and broke my heart when the rug got pulled out from under me. I was sort of "getting away with" the priviledges I managed to secure. They really belonged to someone else.

If I can earn a living in broadcasting, I'll never be rich, for sure. And it's not a steady pay check unless one does a lot of juggling and planning.

And there's a lot of luck involved, too. Broadcasters are notorious for long resumes and many gigs. Stations change ownerships, formats, management.... people move around a lot.

Broadcasters are gregarious gypsies, setting up camp for awhile and moving on to the next thing.

But I can look into independent production. I'm learning how to market programming to community and independent radio.

Gawd knows I have access to connections; I just have to learn how to USE them effectively!

I think I'll be a good producer/programmer soon enough. I certainly am learning the equipment, writing and editing styles, and that friggin' computer! Stubborn bastard!

And I'm at KUNM, which is fertile ground for inspiration, leads on story ideas, advice and support. There's NEVER nothing to talk about there! LOL Sometimes, it sounds like a cage full of gibbering monkeys! It's GREAT!

My poor garden! My poor LAUNDRY!

If I don't do something pretty soon, I'll have no produce for summer, and I'll have to go out NAKED! And I have a LOT of clothes!

Well, this broadcasting convention ends today. It's a special deal. It happens every year, but not HERE.

People from other markets are impressed with KUNM: our facilities, our talent, our diversity, and our sheer numbers.

I just said, "our," didn't I?

:)

No comments: