Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

am I awake yet?

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I went to sleep about ten last night: two hours early, by my standards.

I was up at 5, staggering and hunting for coffee.

I'm in pain that makes no sense. Forget describing it.

Somehow, I've got to eat and dress and head to campus.

I'm overwhelmed by pain. Just sitting here is torture. I'm really dreading this.

But I'm going to do it.

I'm going to hide in Studio C this morning, before anybody gets there, and try to put all 3 of my remaining stories "in the can."

When people show up, I'll try to hide somewhere else.

If I can get it all done today, I can spend the rest of the week and the weekend, taking care of myself and TRYING to patch my scooter tire.

The University has its own bus system. It's for students. I think it's free, and I doubt they'd challenge or question me for using it. The first stop I can get to is still about a mile from here. But, if I can use it, I think I can at least get a ride to the duck pond, which is half way between here and the station.

I don't know if there's a stop near the station, but I'll ask.

ANYthing will help!

I can't carry much. I'm too tired. I can't even push my small, collapsible stroller. So, packing food is a problem.

I may just work up the nerve to ASK someone with a car to get me some lunch somewhere cheap.

And Linda may be able to give me a ride back; she comes home early.

I have a feeling I should take the scooter motor, throttle, etc off the scooter and put them on one of my bicycles. The tubes are much easier and cheaper to replace.

The main problem with that is I can't balance very well on a bicycle anymore, motor or not. Maybe I could devise a "running board," so I can stand with my feet on something....

It won't be easy, of course. And I don't know what that little motor will think about pushing a large tire. Bicycle tires are apx. eighteen inches; scooter tires are eight.

But I can try.

The trick, of course, is the pedals. I'll have to bypass that gear with the drive chain, all together. I may even have to remove it.

So, mounting the motor onto the bike will be tricky.

But the throttle ought to go easily onto the handle bar, once I take the grip off.

I'll work on it, once my stories are done.

If it CAN be done, I'll certainly do it.

If it can't, I'll have the discouraging job of putting the scooter back together. sigh.

Well, sunrise is coming.

I need to get out of here soon.

Wish me luck.

moan...

No comments: