Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

contraband Porkchop

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

I've found a way to smuggle Porkchop onto the UNM campus, without hassles from anybody.

He needs the exercise, running beside me to the duck pond every day. It's healthy for him, and safer for me.

But how do I keep from getting hassled, once I'm on campus?

Well....

Several years ago, I bought one of those large pet carriers, like they use on airlines, at a thriftstore. It was half price: ten dollars.

It's been sitting under a table, gate open, bedding inside, for the cats.

I decorated it with mylar garlands and old AOL.com cds. It fits perfectly into the bed of my trailer.

Porky runs beside me, all the way to a street that enters campus.

There, I open the carrier door and tell him, "go to bed." He jumps in, lies down to sleep, and I lock the door.

I cover the carrier with the tropical fish shower curtain I hooked to the trailer to protect my stuff from rain and sun.

I ride the scooter to the edge of the sidewalk that leads to the duck pond. I get off, engine still running, and walk beside the scooter, using the throttle, so I won't have to push too hard.

I collect my eggs, leave, drive back out to that same street, let Porky out, and we go home.

Nobody knows he's in there, he gets excercise and can't scare anybody, I get my eggs and everybody's happy.

So there.

The carrier works at stores, too. But, there, I put the carrier on the ground, next to the scooter. It scares him to be in the carrier in the wobbly scooter, so I try not to scare him whenever possible. The shower curtain's large enough to cover the carrier and trailer, side-by-side. I go shopping, come out, let Porky out of the carrier, put the carrier back in the trailer and put my groceries in the carrier.

So, nobody can touch Porky while I'm in the store and can't keep an eye on him.

Tah dah!

Ten eggs today.

Got the tomato sauce done last night, let it cool on the stove overnight. It's all put away now. I ended up with about two gallons, as I'd thought. It's rich and tangy, aromatic and thick. It's just perfect and I can't wait to cook with it next week!

I'm taking it easy for the rest of the morning.

I'm heading to KUNM today for what looks like a long afternoon/evening. I won't be back 'til well after dark.

I'm packing 2 chicken thighs, a steamed artichoke, fruit, cheese, Easter candy, yogurt and a bagel with a tad of cream cheese. I might take some of my tea blend, too. It's probably more than I'll need, but I don't know how long I'll be there, and I'll be danged if I'll go hungry! I may take some macaroni with that tomato sauce and goat cheese, too. Let 'em smell that sauce at the station, and maybe I can get work, preparing lunches for people!

I'll pick up some clutter this morning and burn some papers in the fire place. I need more ashes for the garden, anyway.

It's a beautiful day out there!

No comments: