Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I just found the BEST restaurant!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Someone slipped me twenty dollars today. It's a long story.

I spent some on gas for the scooter and actually bought me a *gasp* bottle of Pepsi. Hey, I'm working hard, gardening and stuff and I needed a good burp. Tea's ok, but there's nothing like Sewage of Imperialism for a hearty burp.

Well, seein's how I've been awake since 2:30 this morning, round about four o'clock, I was starved. Breakfast was at three am, and lunch was at ten. Both were small meals.

I was thinking of Wendy's, cuz it's close. But the thought of eating there just grossed me out.

I'm too tired to drive very far.

Then, I remembered.

There's a new Arabic restaurant, two blocks from me.

It's not a fancy restaurant: just a greasy spoon. But their trash even smells good! LOL And Porkchop loves their thrown-out falafels...so....

I didn't even put on my travelin' shoes; I got on the scooter in my bedroom slippers. To hell with it; if I died, I'd die.

This place is FABULOUS!! CHEERFUL music, with a woman singer. Religious art on the walls, like sayings from the Q'ran and images of Mecca. Table clothes, silk flowers. Hukas (sp) for sale, cross stitched purses for sale. A MAGNIFICENT glass pastry cabinet, full of cookies and eighty million configurations of filo dough....

I couldn't decide what to order, I was so hungry. ESPECIALLY when I saw the THREE SPITS OF MEAT!!!! GAWD! Lamb and beef and chicken!

Then, I saw it: a combination plate of 2 types of shish: all three meats, hummus, and 6 condiments. And two pitas.

Now, you may think you know what pita bread tastes like, and you probably don't like it. I didn't. The inside is the consistancy of a loofa sponge. The outside is the consistancy of a wallet.

Not THIS pita! It was fresh baked. Chewy, yes, but TENDER! Happy tasting bread. It is glorious!

That OTHER crap is made in a factory, and is as irrelevent to real pita as factory tortillas are to homemade. They don't taste like they're even the same FOOD!

I stuck my nose in the bag and almost passed out, it smelled so good! I told another customer, "I wonder if I can snort it?"

The place is squeeky clean. The lady behind the counter is cheerful and polite, even though I made an ass of myself by saying, "oh, my God" in the presence of a veiled woman. I apologized and said I'm an ignorant infidel, and please forgive me.

If you live in Albuquerque, and you are not a vegetarian, you MUST eat at that RESTAURANT!!!!!! I mean you MUST!!! If you miss this, you've really missed something!

Unless you hate Muslims, in which case, leave them ALONE!!! They're nice people, and they don't need YOU!

I had to giggle, though. Here was this woman: long sleeves, long pants, hair completely covered. Then, she stepped out from behind the counter. She was wearing the prettiest, jeweled sandals, with a very nice pedicure. Guess nekkid feets don't count, but hers sure were sexy! I didn't giggle out loud, though; I'm not a savage! Just an infidel!

So, it's about 2 blocks west of University, on the south side of Central.

And if you don't eat there, you're a FOOL!

They also have non meat items, of course, but I don't know if they fry their falafel in lard or vegie oil.

The whole twenty dollars is just about history. And I don't give a rat's patooty. I spent about $12 on that meal. It'll last me 3 meals.

It was fresh, perfectly prepared, fragrant and paid attention to details. It was art.

If I ever get rich, I plan to go back often. I coulda had a gyro or falafel for about four bucks.

But THIS WAS HEAVEN!!!!

There's nothing I like better than happy people, preparing excellent food. And I SURE wouldn't have gotten THAT at any dang Wendy's!!!

My legs are so sore, I can barely stand up anymore....

'scuse the missing blog posts; I'm SOOOOOO tired!

No comments: