Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Thursday, April 01, 2004

guess this thing works

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Thursday mornings, midnight to 4 am, MSNTV shuts down for customer use, so the techies can tweak stuff. I doubt they still tweak stuff anymore, but I can't discard my spam, anyway...

I wasn't sure I could write a blog post, but I guess I did, huh?

People at the station register surprise and shock, when I tell them what my life is like.

Dan, who assists Rachel with volunteers & operations, was offended for me, when I told him people shout insults at me, chase me and throw things at my scooter.

I had a lovely day yesterday. Maintainance was working on the air conditioners, so the roof door was open. I went up there for a cigarette. I forgot to wear shoes. By the time I was done, the sun had heated the roof rocks, and I rather burned my feet. I'd wandered far from the roof door, and had a hard time walking back. But that's ok. It did make me start thinking, though, about making roof meadows, at least at the university. Wild, native seeds would grow nicely up there, and cool and warm the buildings....

We in the phone room rather heckled the listeners. There's a mic in the phone room. Carol made the mistake of addressing us directly, and we talked back.

I found billions of lego models, thrown in the trash yesterday: a ship, construction vehicles, a fish, a space ship...all kinds of stuff. I couldn't rescue it all, of course, but I have about a waste basket worth. I'll try to glue them to my scooter.

I ate plenty yesterday. But I'm hungry now. I'll raid the fridge in a bit.

I think I can go back to sleep for awhile tis morning.

I'm really exhausted.

I stand on the scooter, and it really hurts my legs and feet. I need to put a wider board for standing, and I need to pad it. It REALLY HURTS!!

By the time I get home, I feel like I have stepped on tacks, and they're digging into my heels.

I ride with my knees together, because there's no room to spread my feet. I can't stand with my legs straight, right together: my knees are funny and always have been. My ballet teacher, when I was 6, called me "banana legs," which I hated. She'd tell us to put our knees and ankles together and keep our legs straight, and I couldn't do it. She yelled at me.

For some shock absorbtion, and to accomodate my funny legs, I ride with my knees bent. This puts more weight on my heels and less on the balls of my feet.

The pain travels up my calves, through my knees and thighs, itno my hips and lower back.

And my shoulders scream from holding the handle bars.

Still, I think it beats walking. I think. It's faster, anyway. Walking hurts, too, but not as intensely.

It's a trade off: a lot of pain for a short time, or a little pain, for a long time?

And walking exhausts me.

Sigh.

I got a KUNM t-shirt yesterday.

No comments: