Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Monday, April 19, 2004

my very first news story aired tonight!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Marcos, pgm director, and Renee, news director, decided I CAN voice my own stories, but also write commentaries! As long as I don't comment on news stories, or write commentary INTO news.

SO, the 1st part of my 5 part series on the Paseo del Norte road extension aired TONIGHT! Because the City Council was scheduled to vote on approval.

I was so scared, I almost puked! I was still putting the damn sound together 30 minutes before air time!! I didn't even get a chance to double check the audio before air! I literally had it done ten minutes before the news started!

So, that's the first of my five part series for the week...and the public broadcasters' convention is going on this week, so MAYBE some of THEM will hear me, too! DANG!!!

I stayed at the station 'til almost 8pm tonight, trying to record the city council on the station's tv. I finally had to give up and come home, because I really don't want to drive around in the dark, if I can help it.

I'll have to review my minidisc and see if I got it; they may vote on it after their dinner break tonight, though, and that's when I left.

HOWEVER! I DID capture audio on an agenda item re: Barrett House, a shelter for women and children. They're asking the council for more funding, as their lease runs out soon, and they must find other facilities.

I got GREAT sound of testimonials by formerly homeless women, from staff, from community members, etc. It was EXTREMELY moving and powerful!

Renee has agreed to let me report on it next week.

Since I have everybody's names recorded, too, I'm also going to produce a documentary on women and homelessness, for Women's Focus.

As luck would have it, Carol Boss was hanging out in the hall with Paul Ingles, so I told her about it. I didn't ASK; I told.

I didn't mean to be rude, but I'm absolutely sure I need to produce this piece!!!

As Paul left, I walked out with him so I could smoke a cig. I said I think I should submit the finished documentary for a journalism award.

I bet I'll win, too.

I can't WAIT to start it!!!

I am a reporter! Do you hear me??? I am a REAL REPORTER, on the five o'clock news, on KUNM, 89.9fm Albuquerque!

My piece ought to appear on the KUNM website tomorrow. kunm.org

I am learning how to convert my soundfiles to mp3 format, which MSNTV ought to be able to hear. NOw, I just need to figure out how to email them to myself, using Yahoo Mail. sigh...hang in there; I'll get it.

I'm also finding the texts to my stuff, so I can transcribe it to my domain.

I told Rachel Kaub, Operations Mgr. and volunteer coordinator tonight, "I guess I'm not in the War Zone anymore...."

I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!
I'm a REPORTER!

I just keep bursting into tears...

No comments: