Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Frontline: Diet Wars

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

This week
From Louis Wiley, FRONTLINE executive editor, an introduction to this week's program, "Diet Wars."
.........
When FRONTLINE asked correspondent Steve Talbot to take a personal journey through the competing claims of the diet gurus, we knew he would find himself reporting on the science behind all the hoopla, but we also thought he might be willing to go on a diet himself.

We'll hold off telling you what happened to Steve's waistline, but we want to share with you the story of how the project began -- with a call to Steve from executive producer David Fanning. Here is Steve's account of how that went:
-------------
"There's a national crisis in obesity," the voice was saying.

"And all these conflicting diet plans. We need someone to sort it out."

It was Frontline's executive producer David Fanning. I've been working for him for twelve years, primarily as a documentary producer, more recently as the series editor for FRONTLINE/World.

This was not a direct order, but I could tell it was the kind of offer I was expected to accept.

Actually, Fanning explained, producer Jon Palfreman, who specializes in science and medical issues, would lead the investigation. I would merely be the on-camera correspondent.

"Palfreman makes sense,"I said, "but why me?" I was finishing up work on our story about an oil tanker disaster in Spain. The diet controversy seemed rather remote.

A pause. Too long a pause, really.

That was the giveaway.

"Sixty-five percent of all Americans are now overweight, Steve," Fanning finally said, a little too gingerly. "You'd be a kind of Everyman, no special expertise, just someone as confused as everyone else about all these diets."

I began to sense this assignment had more to do with my bulk than my intellectual curiosity.

"Low-fat, low-carb. Do any of these diets make sense?" He was trying to sound casual now, even jaunty.

"Thought you might like to try one."

He offered one enticement: I would interview the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, at a Weight Watchers gathering. He knew my weakness. Fergie is my favorite Royal.

So, there it was. Fanning wanted me to go on a diet. On national television. The potential for personal humiliation struck me as limitless. I stalled. "Let me mull it over, David."

In a cold panic I consulted with friends. They asked me why on earth I would even consider doing it. "My boss wants me to," was the best I could muster. And there was Fergie.
But even as I said that, I knew there was another reason I hadn't immediately refused. I have never thought of myself as fat. But over the last ten years, I had slowly put on weight. ...
---------------------
In "Diet Wars" this Thursday, April 8, 2004 at 9:00 pm, Steve will not just be monitoring his own battle. He'll be reporting that the diet industry is just the visible sign of a looming public health crisis.

There is an old saying that 'a picture is worth a thousand words.'
In the program you will see a graphic that is worth 10,000 words.
It shows, state by state, how America is turning into the fattest nation on earth.

So we invite you to join us Thursday night, and after watching, explore our web reports, including more from Steve Talbot about his foray into the diet battles, a closer look at the public health implications of overweight Americans, and a chance to read what the experts say about diets and what works for permanent weight loss and long-range health.

We hope you'll watch on Thursday night, and that you'll join the discussion afterward, online at
here -- where you'll also be able to watch in full "Diet Wars" in streaming video.

Louis Wiley
Executive Editor

No comments: