Poverty Is Not an Accident

Poverty Is Not an Accident
Nelson Mandela

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I start writing news TOMORROW!

You are reading http://livinginthehood.blogspot.com

Renee, the news director, has asked me to write a story, and collect the sound, about the Paseo del Norte road nobody wants.

I can't read the story for air. This is because I write commentaries. Opinion and journalism are distinct and, in an ideal world, seperate forms of writing. They should NEVER blend. So, as any GOOD newsroom should, they have an ethical "firewall" between news and commentary.

If I quit producing commentary, I could do news. Neither Renee nor I want that; she likes my commentaries and I LOVE producing them.

So, the best compromise is this one: I will create the story, collect the sound, write the copy. A reporter will read the copy. That person, or I, will edit the story for air.

I'll still get closing credit as a "contributer."

I'm going to keep copies of all these stories for my records, on my domain, as writing samples I can show prospective employers.

In the mean time, I need to get my butt to Human Resources and apply as a temporary employee. Linda, who's in charge of money stuff, has emphatically suggested this to me on several occasions. Hopefully, I can get a temp. assignment, right in KUNM.

Renee would hire me as a reporter, she said. But the University requires a Bachelors Degree. I only have an Associate of Arts. So that will have to wait until I can deal with Voc Rehab, get a job, go back to college and finish my BA in journalism.

In the mean time, it seems I've learned a lot about sound editing, already; apparantly, I'm just about familiar with the basics. This is a reason why Renee has me writing news now: she sees how efficiently I can edit audio.

I was at the station for 12 hrs. today. I practiced on the equipment. I helped Katie, from the Children's Hour, edit some interviews for her show. I recorded 2 commentaries by walk-ins, so Renee could finish putting together the news for tonight.

I'm editing down Katie's story for the news dept.

Then, I had Tristan's audio production class for 2 hours.

There will be little blogging 'til I get this story done for air tomorrow. In fact, there will be little of ANYthing until I get that story in the can.

I have lots of phone calls, writing, recording and editing to do for that story tomorrow.

So, I'll leave here about six thirty am for duck eggs and go DIRECTLY to the station.

Tom Trowbridge, the morning news guy, will be there. He knows a lot of the contacts I'll need to call, so I'll pick his brains. He's going to the Governor's press conference tomorrow, too. He might have some sound for me from the gov.

I have to finish editing Katie's tape and also one commentary. The other aired tonight.

It's going to be a long day tomorrow. I'll try not to go in Thursday.

Beaver, who reads news, is going to a Native conference here next week. She lives VERY far away, and needs a place to crash. So, I need to clean my house before she arrives on Tuesday.

So, basically, I'm up to my butt in alligators and lost my paddle...hell, I ain't even got a canoe!

Please be patient. This is all new to me, and will take me awhile to get adjusted. As of this moment, I don't even know HOW to record telephone interviews!

I'm telling you, that station is the best thing that's happened to me in twenty years...maybe more!

I'm SO tired I can barely walk. And driving back in the dark was terrifying.

But I'd do it again in a minute!

I hope I don't forget to pack lots of food in the morning!

Poor Porkchop almost wagged his butt off when I walked in the house tonight, he was so glad I came back. Poor boy.

Osa's on the pillow under my elbow, pressed against my arm, pretending she doesn't know I'm here, glad to have body contact again.

I'll spend thurs, fri and sat cleaning this place for company, starting the garden, doing laundry...

I am starting to feel like a real human being again.

That place is good medicine.

No comments: